Hang in there

Just read this article - not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, but I'll give it a shot.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m02/i11/s01

eBay Pivots Away from Big Retail

There might be hope for us little guys yet Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hang in there

About time they realized to do what they were good at.

Instead of pretenting to be something they didn't start out as.

Lets hope they do it.

image host
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

Yes, absolutely and the sooner the better  Smiley Happy

Such a pity they've lost so many great sellers in the process - hopefully they'll return, but I dare some won't swallow their pride while others won't want to take the risk again and of course, others have found alternative successful platforms

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

A very intersting article. I'm just wondering what type of companies they will be acquiring this year. I won't have that drink just yet...LOL!

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

And lookout for eBay to acquire companies in 2016. Wenig said eBay hadn't done much in that regard over the past year, but now that valuations have come back to earth, "expect us to be an acquisitive company."

I hope they don't ruin any other platforms...

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

Be nice if it is true but I want be holding my breath it would mean removing benefits from large companies and giving them to smaller (riskier) companies/people I can not see that happening to turn back would be a big gamble with no guarantee 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

eBay hasn't scratched the surface of the richness of inventory "as we pivot out of big retail," he said. "Think of every boutique and artisan, and small bookstore, and handmade crafter."

However, eBay is complicated for shoppers, the CEO said. And that's why the company is "replatforming," a reference to the initiative in which it is requiring sellers to list with Product Identifiers in order for eBay to be able to create Product Pages. That initiative has been a key talking point to analysts since Wenig took over from John Donahoe as CEO.

What does this mean?Does this mean they are going to move away from product identifiers?

Becuase requiring the product identifers won't work if he wants to gain back the handmade crafter, artisan and the like. They don't use product identifiers.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

Harley,

Don't they only do what we do.

Does Not Apply.

If it doesn't apply - sooner or later it will disappear.

Read the whole article - should I live so long.

Yep.

All good.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

@twyngwyn wrote:

And lookout for eBay to acquire companies in 2016. Wenig said eBay hadn't done much in that regard over the past year, but now that valuations have come back to earth, "expect us to be an acquisitive company."

I hope they don't ruin any other platforms...

I really hope eBay makes some improvements for the littler guys, but reading that quote does kind of make me a bit cynical about things (I don't mean to be negative, but I can't help regarding that with both a little suspicion and a little disdain Smiley Embarassed )

Namely, because I know there were statements made not so long ago about eBay acquiring the other E**y site - the one that caters more for crafters and artisans (I really hope they leave well enough alone in that regard, though... Smiley Surprised ), and also because this comes on the heels of A****n's newer venture, which also caters exclusively for handmade artists / crafters. 

Bit behind the 8 ball, eBay, or just trying to follow in other's footsteps (again)? 

Word to the, err, wise, if eBay are reading  / paying attention - there are some unbvelievably talented artisans around the world, who spend hours, weeks, months sometimes, creating unique and wonderful items... None of whom will risk selling on eBay, even if you create a new sub-section / curated selection, because it's not the site in itself, or lack of options, that keeps them away. 

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

I wondered the same thing Harley, because as you say, artisans and handmade crafters really do not have Product Identifiers.

Or haven't they worked that out yet ? Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply