Hang in there

Just read this article - not sure if I'm allowed to post the link, but I'll give it a shot.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m02/i11/s01

eBay Pivots Away from Big Retail

There might be hope for us little guys yet Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hang in there

@digital*ghost wrote:

@twyngwyn wrote:

And lookout for eBay to acquire companies in 2016. Wenig said eBay hadn't done much in that regard over the past year, but now that valuations have come back to earth, "expect us to be an acquisitive company."

I hope they don't ruin any other platforms...

I really hope eBay makes some improvements for the littler guys, but reading that quote does kind of make me a bit cynical about things (I don't mean to be negative, but I can't help regarding that with both a little suspicion and a little disdain Smiley Embarassed )

Namely, because I know there were statements made not so long ago about eBay acquiring the other E**y site - the one that caters more for crafters and artisans (I really hope they leave well enough alone in that regard, though... Smiley Surprised ), and also because this comes on the heels of A****n's newer venture, which also caters exclusively for handmade artists / crafters. 

Bit behind the 8 ball, eBay, or just trying to follow in other's footsteps (again)? 

Word to the, err, wise, if eBay are reading  / paying attention - there are some unbvelievably talented artisans around the world, who spend hours, weeks, months sometimes, creating unique and wonderful items... None of whom will risk selling on eBay, even if you create a new sub-section / curated selection, because it's not the site in itself, or lack of options, that keeps them away. 

IMO, they don't need to acquire another site, all they need to do is FIX this one, show sellers some respect and compete with the other platforms

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

@mbselections00 wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

@twyngwyn wrote:

And lookout for eBay to acquire companies in 2016. Wenig said eBay hadn't done much in that regard over the past year, but now that valuations have come back to earth, "expect us to be an acquisitive company."

I hope they don't ruin any other platforms...

I really hope eBay makes some improvements for the littler guys, but reading that quote does kind of make me a bit cynical about things (I don't mean to be negative, but I can't help regarding that with both a little suspicion and a little disdain Smiley Embarassed )

Namely, because I know there were statements made not so long ago about eBay acquiring the other E**y site - the one that caters more for crafters and artisans (I really hope they leave well enough alone in that regard, though... Smiley Surprised ), and also because this comes on the heels of A****n's newer venture, which also caters exclusively for handmade artists / crafters. 

Bit behind the 8 ball, eBay, or just trying to follow in other's footsteps (again)? 

Word to the, err, wise, if eBay are reading  / paying attention - there are some unbvelievably talented artisans around the world, who spend hours, weeks, months sometimes, creating unique and wonderful items... None of whom will risk selling on eBay, even if you create a new sub-section / curated selection, because it's not the site in itself, or lack of options, that keeps them away. 

IMO, they don't need to acquire another site, all they need to do is FIX this one, show sellers some respect and compete with the other platforms

I think what he is talking/hinting at is acquiring other sites that will aid Ebay sellers like paypal did sry could not resist 

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

@mbselections00 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. My top 3 things that would do far more to help eBay's sustainability (in no particular order)

Fix the cart

Get rid of provably faudulent members

Police the site properly 

It's no good building extensions if the foundations are in desperate need of repair. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

@digital*ghost wrote:

My thoughts exactly. My top 3 things that would do far more to help eBay's sustainability (in no particular order)

Fix the cart

Get rid of provably faudulent members

Police the site properly 

It's no good building extensions if the foundations are in desperate need of repair. 

Thumbs up smiley face.jpg

Yes

Yes and

Yes

It will still crumble if not fixed first !

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

I really hope eBay makes some improvements for the littler guys, but reading that quote does kind of make me a bit cynical about things (I don't mean to be negative, but I can't help regarding that with both a little suspicion and a little disdain 

My thoughts exactly DG, I read it and though they were just trotting out more chances to stuff things up and make it harder for 'ordinary' sellers.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

I thought Etsy is already covering the market for boutique/handcraft sellers.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Hang in there

@dave4110 wrote:

I thought Etsy is already covering the market for boutique/handcraft sellers.

Yes I think it does and I also think it has grown a lot because eBay has treated so many sellers poorly (eg. the Defect system)  they have left and gone there, as eBay has put so much effort and advertising into the big guys, (choking us out).   Whatever we may think of the way eBay is managed and operated, I believe it has the traffic and with change can still be viable for us little guys . . . . just my opinion of course

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply