Has anyone else noticed that your invoices are adding up wrong - ebay are taking 1c or 2c more .

I have been noticing for a while now, on all of my invoices across all accounts.

The fees don't add up right. They are always 1 cent or 2 cents dearer than they should be.

That might not seem like much, but if that is happening to every seller and every invoice - that could add up to a consideral sum,

which they are not entitled to.

what do we do?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Has anyone else noticed that your invoices are adding up wrong - ebay are taking 1c or 2c more .

Almost certainly they are roounding errors since they charge a percentage.

Like if they charged me 10.4 cents it would be displayed as $0.10, but with 2 such charges it would be 20.8 cents or $0.21

You could point this out to the ACCC, but they would probably not be interested. Winning a case like that against ebay's lawyers would be tough.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Re: Has anyone else noticed that your invoices are adding up wrong - ebay are taking 1c or 2c more .

There are millions and millions of sellers. When I googled it, the figure for 2015 was 25 million. It's probably more now.

If all the increases are between 1 cent and 2 cents then they are earning between $250,000 and $500,000 per month that they don't deserve. That adds up to a whopping $3,000,000 to $6,000,000 per year.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Do you ever have people paying one lot of postage for multiple items? If you do, that can explain it. 

eBay - for some unknown reason - divide the postage charge by the number of items in the order, then calculate the FVF on that fraction of the postage cost, then add them back up together to get the FVF on postage. 

For example, lets say your postage is $5 - someone buys one item with $5 P&H, eBay calculates 10.9% of $5, and charges you 55c (rounded up from 54.5c). 

Now lets say someone buys 30 items and you still only charge $5 in postage. eBay divides $5 by 30, which is 16.6 cents recurring, so they round it up to 17c. Then they charge 10.9% on 17c, 30 individual times - 10.9% of 17c is 1.85c which gets rounded up to 2c, 2c x 30 is 60c, and boom, eBay just made a cool 5c for no reason.

This happens to me multiple times a week, but the amount is too small for me to feel inclined to talk to someone at eBay about it.

Although, another site I sell on recently had to refund a lot of money to sellers because while you could list there in any currency, they would convert all amounts to USD, calculate their FVF on the converted amount, and then convert the fee back into the seller's currency, resulting in a lot of 1, 2 or 3c discrepancies. When they refunded me, the amount was around $75 from maybe a year's worth of transactions. 

I wonder what eBay's tally would be if they had to do the same. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Some round up and some round down. (You are not considering the decreases which you don't see)

The rule is .5 and up, rounded up. Anything under, rounded down.

It wouldn't surprise me if the rounding is close to even makng it eBay's legitimate funds.

image host
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

There is no rounding. I have just checked right back to Feb 2018 and it's the same.

Just go to your invoices, get out a calculator and add up the fees.

They are always out by 1c or 2c.

That extra money is just theft.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I only add the fees on the actual monthly invoice. The bottom figure for the fees is always wrong. Always out by 1 or 2 cents.

They know that only taking an extra 1 or 2 cents probably won't have many people complaining or even noticing.

But then multiply it by the number of sellers and you get Millions of dollars stolen from sellers.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I can't explain that one. 

Sometimes when I make a one-off payment, paying exactly what they say I owe at the time of the payment, and check my account balance afterwards there's a -1c or +1c balance. I have no idea what causes it, though - possibly some software issue since they're dealing with fractions and percentages. It could be an Office Space kind of thing - some disgruntled office worker somewhere has worked in a bug to skim micro amounts from transactions. Smiley Surprised (I jest, but you never know... ). 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Perhaps ebay are skimming 1c-2c here and there to recoup for all the free listings they give away? and hope that no one as clever as you notice what is happening.

Kudos to you my friend.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ a store holder was telling us here last week, โ€œall store holders were paying the non-store holders eBay promo offers (as poor eBay was loosing money during this $1 and free fvf promo period) ..๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply