Has anyone experienced buyers that bid but don't pay recently. I have had three in this past month.

enuj888
Community Member

I have had three incidents of people placing winning bids but not paying or communicating in this last month. Each time there has been no response when I have sent messages.

If I place an unpaid item case it just holds up my sale. Plus I have no opportunity to place a complaint against their name if the sale is cancelled.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Has anyone experienced buyers that bid but don't pay recently. I have had three in this past mon

it is no surprise to anybody around here that members who are buyers only have 100% feedback regardless of how many times they dont pay. 

eBay removed the ability of sellers to leave buyers negs back in about 2008.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Re: Has anyone experienced buyers that bid but don't pay recently. I have had three in this past mon

@elliemathilde,

If Genghis Khan were buying on eBay, his feedback would be 100%.

If Baby Face Nelson were buying on eBay, his feedback, too, would be 100%.

No eBay buyer, irrespective of their bad buyer behaviour, can be given negative feedback, and therefore their feedback score will be glowing brightly with what may be a very misleading 100%.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Set up your buyer blocks so that nobody can bid or buy from you if they've had two or more unpaid item strikes in the last 12 months.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@elliemathilde wrote:

Same for me here. it's the second time in a little over a week... I'm also shocked to see that these people seem to have 100% positive reviews as a buyer and for over 12 months. is there something I'm doing wrong here? 

It's really frustrating and not sure what the solution is... It's never happened to me before but now seems to happen very often.

You're not doing anything wrong.

Ebay a few years back set things so that anything in the way of bad behaviour by a buyer became virtually invisible. They had some valid reasons for doing that, by the way, so don't fret about it. It doesn't mean that you as a seller have no protection though.

If a person has received a couple of non payment strikes it will affect their ability to buy, even if casual observers can't personally see those strikes.

You need to do as others have mentioned, set your account details to block those buyers who have had 2 strikes in 12 months.

It won't necessarily guarantee you 100% trouble free selling, but it should eliminate some of the worst offenders & at the same time, if they do try to buy from you, teach them a little bit about consequences.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

pat3128
Community Member

I also had a buyer that didn’t pay. After sending them a reminder they said they would pay by an agreed date. Agreed date came and passed and still no payment. I lodged an unpaid item case.  The buyer paid immediately. But this has now been more trouble than it was worth as the buyer is now forcing me to refund the item stating that the item wasn’t authentic, even though it is authentic and as described. eBay was of little help.

seems like the system doesn’t protect sellers. Buyers can rort the system and get away with it.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

If you have irefutable proof that the item is authentic you can appeal the decision.....ebay should give you your money back and they can refund the buyer from their own funds.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply