Have the eBay CEOs gone insane?

Just read this article in the latest EcommerceBytes Newsletter and I'm having trouble believing it's true.

eBay Removes Obligation to Follow through with Purchases

Dear Ina,
In my opinion the upcoming ability of buyers to cancel a sale if the seller hasn't uploaded the tracking number within one hour should be approached with skepticism and caution.

eBay claims this unasked for "improvement" will result in an "enhanced" selling experience or at least that's what the script says that Customer Service representatives are reading from.

As a 14 year eBay seller I see little upside to this change, but we've come expect this from eBay.

eBay used to tell buyers that when they bought an item they were entering into a legal binding contract to pay for it. This new recission policy could result in creating even still more irresponsible buyers who know they can cancel anytime from within one hour of purchase to 6 months in the United States and a year in the United Kingdom by simply filing a meritless case either eBay or PayPal.

Now unless sellers sit in front of their computers 24/7 uploading tracking numbers within seconds of purchase, buyers will be able to reserve an item for one hour while they scour eBay and other sites for a lower price.

Instead of continually giving buyers ways to wiggle out of their "legally binding contracts," eBay continues down the path of self destruction by failing to develop ways to encourage orders to stick or even require buyers to honor their end of the contract.

Why would eBay introduce such a facially counterproductive policy? Each item returned or cancelled item is relisted. Each time it sells eBay can count what actually amounts to one sale as multiple sales in terms of dollar volume it in their patently deceptive gross merchandise volume (GMV) column.

eBay desperately needs this inflated GMV for Q4 and their annual earnings reports even though returns and cancellation amount to non existent dollars (except to sellers).

If history is any indicator this new buyer initiated cancellation policy likely will cost sellers sales and money which means absolutely nothing to eBay.

The only positive thing I can think of is that sellers won't be out shipping label costs and return postage in shipping included listings when the buyer cancels within the hour.

I suspect, however, it's simply another new avenue for buyers to abuse sellers with eBay's blessing.

Just Sign Me,
League to Eradicate Stupidity, Mendacity, and Avarice

Do you realise that the only possible way anybody can upload a tracking number within an hour of the sale is to purchase their postage on-line through ebay? If I was to take my item to the PO to send off, I wouldn't even be home again within an hour, let alone able to upload a tracking number! IMO this represents third-line forcing of the very worst and most insidious sort, and I have trouble believing that the ACCC would even give it a second look. This would surely be illegal in Australia, wouldn't it?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Have the eBay CEOs gone insane?

Thanks for the link.

I read all the way up to Page 4 on the thread, but then had to stop... I couldn't take any more of it with all the possible new ramifications that everyone was suggesting (including vicious sellers up-bidding their rivals on a product that they are selling themselves).

It would seem that the most logical time to have auctions end (when this change comes into effect down here) would be after 1:00am EST and before 5:00 EST, to minimise the chance of buyers being awake and ready to pounce on the opportunity to change their mind.

Of course, starting auctions so late or so early is a task on our behalves, which is why eBay will permit you to choose the time for every auction to begin/end - for only a mere 20c per listing (oh, yes).

I suppose the other option would be to having everything listed as Fixed Price format instead with Immediate Payment required. Far less chance of a buyer changing their mind if they rush out to pay for something immediately.

Either way though, eBay will probably have to expand the Block Bidder lists to include more than 5000 names. I wonder how many names I'll be adding a week, just because a buyer decided to screw around within 60 minutes of a listing ending.

Ah well. Fun times await...

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

"It would seem that the most logical time to have auctions end (when this change comes into effect down here) would be after 1:00am EST and before 5:00 EST, to minimise the chance of buyers being awake and ready to pounce on the opportunity to change their mind"

That would be a solution with its own problems, though...many experienced bidders like to snipe, and not all are happy to give their password to an automated service to do so. Night ending auctions might just do badly.

eBay is not likely to listen to the sellers on any changes they bring in, it will be interesting to see what eBay is like in a few years time...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

Nevertheless Amber, it's an interesting thought. 🙂

Incidentally, what gives you the impression that eBay will still be around in a few years time? Smiley Indifferent

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

Yes. Trial and error I imagine if and when the one hour request comes into effect here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

I have had this thought before and this thread and the ramifications of the new changes signalled for the US market, have brought it to mind again -

Is ebay just a front for an organisation who's real agenda is - let's find as many ways as possible to make the life and experience of a very large group of people (sellers), as difficult and unpleasant as we can !!! Hehe !

I know it hasn't happened or is signalled here yet but others are I'm sure correct in saying that its only a matter of time.

Honestly when you have been involved with ebay in a selling capacity for as long as I and many others have, you are just reduced to manic laughter with each new blow they deliver to sellers.

Honestly, ebay, you stagger belief !

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

I am happy about the introduction of a buyer initiated cancellation request.

It is something a number of posters have wanted for yonks.

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

" Incidentally, what gives you the impression that eBay will still be around in a few years time?"

lack of any real competition, cq.

Cats, yes, it is a buyer request, not a buyer right to cancel, so should not be taken as such here... I am thinking that what might upset some sellers is the possible buyer response to a no to their request. If everyone behaved with courtesy, it would work beautifully. Much better to cancel up front than go through the whole process of unpaid item disputes and having to wait to relist.

so at face value, it's not a bad thing.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

Yes, IMO it just formalises what occurs already, and puts a very tight timeframe on the request, which I support.

I imagine it will be pretty much the same type of buyer that seeks a cancellation straight after sale, maybe a few more, but they are not really the buyers that many sellers want to do business with anyway.

I like that the new system will put the onus on the buyer to request the cancellation, and that the seller will be in the drivers seat in terms of agreeing and the timing of agreeing, instead of the way it has been, with buyers requesting cancellations and then a number not bothering to respond to a cancellation sent by the seller, so the seller has had to wait it out 7 days, until they could relist. 

Or in the worst case scenarios, a buyer requesting a cancellation then refusing it when sent by the seller, meaning an unpaid dispute could not be opened.

Good move eBay.  Thank you. 

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

I suppose it's all well and good for BIN's.

And for ebay of course who will then pick up another insertion fee.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Thank god...a balance..I have always had low blood pressure .

Just before I got to yours I was feeling a little flushed and pithed off. I am about to pour myself a Stones with a nip of scotch. Heaven help yas if I have more than one  I wont shut up. Now to continue on with the thread or maybe not...Hmmmm

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply