Have the eBay CEOs gone insane?

Just read this article in the latest EcommerceBytes Newsletter and I'm having trouble believing it's true.

eBay Removes Obligation to Follow through with Purchases

Dear Ina,
In my opinion the upcoming ability of buyers to cancel a sale if the seller hasn't uploaded the tracking number within one hour should be approached with skepticism and caution.

eBay claims this unasked for "improvement" will result in an "enhanced" selling experience or at least that's what the script says that Customer Service representatives are reading from.

As a 14 year eBay seller I see little upside to this change, but we've come expect this from eBay.

eBay used to tell buyers that when they bought an item they were entering into a legal binding contract to pay for it. This new recission policy could result in creating even still more irresponsible buyers who know they can cancel anytime from within one hour of purchase to 6 months in the United States and a year in the United Kingdom by simply filing a meritless case either eBay or PayPal.

Now unless sellers sit in front of their computers 24/7 uploading tracking numbers within seconds of purchase, buyers will be able to reserve an item for one hour while they scour eBay and other sites for a lower price.

Instead of continually giving buyers ways to wiggle out of their "legally binding contracts," eBay continues down the path of self destruction by failing to develop ways to encourage orders to stick or even require buyers to honor their end of the contract.

Why would eBay introduce such a facially counterproductive policy? Each item returned or cancelled item is relisted. Each time it sells eBay can count what actually amounts to one sale as multiple sales in terms of dollar volume it in their patently deceptive gross merchandise volume (GMV) column.

eBay desperately needs this inflated GMV for Q4 and their annual earnings reports even though returns and cancellation amount to non existent dollars (except to sellers).

If history is any indicator this new buyer initiated cancellation policy likely will cost sellers sales and money which means absolutely nothing to eBay.

The only positive thing I can think of is that sellers won't be out shipping label costs and return postage in shipping included listings when the buyer cancels within the hour.

I suspect, however, it's simply another new avenue for buyers to abuse sellers with eBay's blessing.

Just Sign Me,
League to Eradicate Stupidity, Mendacity, and Avarice

Do you realise that the only possible way anybody can upload a tracking number within an hour of the sale is to purchase their postage on-line through ebay? If I was to take my item to the PO to send off, I wouldn't even be home again within an hour, let alone able to upload a tracking number! IMO this represents third-line forcing of the very worst and most insidious sort, and I have trouble believing that the ACCC would even give it a second look. This would surely be illegal in Australia, wouldn't it?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

What if a buyer pays sometime after midnight to 6am Aust time? Not likely sellers awake at that time processing postage labels.
Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

This would have to be the biggest load of codswallop I've ever read in my life. I think the eBay CEO has been sniffing petrol fumes again. Outrageous! I would assume it's only a matter of time until it's introduced here.

I wonder what happens to items that end after 6pm? I'm only 5 minutes from my PO but I'll be dammed (sic) if I'm going to go their multiple times a day, purely to get a tracking number within the hour.

I wonder if sellers are expected to upload said tracking number prior to buyer paying? What happens to those of us who send a certain percentage of items untracked? Most of my items are cheap and go large letter. I'd never sell anything if I had to send everything at parcel rate.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

I'm in trouble then,  nearly all my mail is a 70c envelope.

A larger than normal sale for me is a large letter.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

I've been looking around for this on the U.S boards & the bad news is that eBay announced it in the Fall Seller Update!

It starts in October in the U.S

Reading how things are going in the U.S is very scarey.

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Yep, I'll be in trouble too, although a fair percentage of my items are sent Registered Post so with Pre-Paid, I could add Tracking without going to the PO, because likewise, a round trip for me takes over an hour.

Which begs the question - how many Sellers will add Tracking details and then not post for a day or two ?? What the hell does that achieve - Buyer Satisfaction ? I think not eBay !!

Is this more evidence that they just want to be a platform for the big retailers ?  Maybe I'm just plain stupid - but the big guys already have their own on-line shopping websites - why in heavens name, would they want to pay fees to sell on eBay ?  And as a Buyer, I would prefer to shop in a B&M shop for the big ticket items, or at the very least, buy direct from the Retailer's own website - NOT VIA EBAY - involving a third party surely means extra costs.  I understand there is certainly a place for on-line shopping, for convenience, fabulous for disabled & sick people etc etc but am I missing something here - do they think we are all stupid ?

And yes, it would appear to be yet another ploy to force Sellers to do things the way they want you to do them ie. using their postage - impossible for Large Letters !

My goodness, if it's not one thing it's another !!!       😞 Why  can't it just be simple - you know KISS

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Is this it? Or there is another change within an hour re tracking numbers?

We’re also streamlining the cancellation process to make it easier for buyers and sellers to cancel a transaction directly from My eBay.

Buyers can request a cancellation if they change their mind within an hour after the sale (as long as you haven’t already shipped the item). This will help reduce the hassle of unpaid items and help you get your merchandise back up for sale faster. Sellers will also have the option to cancel transactions directly from My eBay instead of the Resolution Center and, if the buyer paid with PayPal, sellers will no longer need to wait for a response from the buyer.
Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Lol, I agree,   the biggest load of codswallop ever !!  I think the eBay CEOhas been sniffing petrol fumes again. Outrageous!

I would lose a lot of sales also if I had to send all items Registered as I also sell a lot of low value items (very low)  no-one is going to pay $4.90 for  low value orders worth less than let's say $10-$12.  I do sell higher value items which I am able to send Large Letter Registered, but they only account for about half my sales.

As I mentioned in another post, it would be better if we could specify minimum order values - not a perfect solution, as I would not be happy forcing customers to buy more than they actually want, but at least then Registered Post would be more viable.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Still don't agree with Buyers being able to Cancel within an hour, but, can see how this could save a few headaches down the track and also reduce the risk of Defects.

Would make more sense to me to have introduced this change before the new defective system was put in place.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Before anyone panics.... 😄

This is a letter from an eBay member, and one who slightly has misunderstood the whole "after sale streamlined experience" stuff eBay are introducing.

A buyer can request a cancellation within the hour as long as the item hasn't been posted, but it's still up to the seller whether or not they accept that request (and yes, I get the possible risks and consequences of a seller refusing). I personally think it's a positive thing - I maintain that these sorts of options solve more problems than they create, and frankly I think it's about time buyers could initiate a cancellation request.

Though, in saying that, I am a seller who is happy to accept change of mind returns, and I see this as an extension of that for me, if it's introduced here, just without the hassle and waste of actually posting an unwanted item only to have it sent back. 

If you want to know more, here's the info: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/fallupdate2014/after-sale-experience-details.html 

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply