Having an issue with a buyer - what to do

Hello

A customer purchased a leather jacket, she received the leather jacket and has messaged me saying that while she was happy with the jacket itself she believes it smells of perspiration.

I know that this is not the case because it was dry cleaned and not worn since being dry cleaned (sitting in a storage unit in a container of items that would not be taken to my new home but would be 'sold').

I stated in the listing that the jacket has always had a 'strong odour', it is a different type of leather that even some drycleaners cannot clean as a specific product has to be used on it. For example the smell would linger in the closet  or on your arms after you wore it.

I'm quite frustrated as it cost $100 to be drycleaned and I do not know how she cannot differentiate between the smell of perspiration and the smell of leather/chemicals

I don't know how to proceed, I sent a response asking what she would like to do but I do not see why I should have to refund when the item is as described and I know it did not smell of persperation.

What should be done in this situation?

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Having an issue with a buyer - what to do

Hi tippy toes, the buyer decided to post it back to me so I’m still waiting to receive it. She posted it on Wednesday and it hasn’t moved from the post office yet when I look up the tracking number. Just hoping it is in the condition it was sent in when I receive it.
Message 41 of 51
Latest reply

I'm wondering if she bought it for an event, has been to the event and now has no further use for it. It's surprising how many "wardrobers" there are on eBay. 

Depending on where it's posted from, it can take a few days to get another scan. Make sure you open it in front of someone, even going so far as to video it being opened. That way you have evidence if it doesn't come back in the condition it was sent in.

I wouldn't worry too much about negative feedback. If she does neg you, you've only got 10 feedback, create a new account and start again. Leave this account idle and use it again in 12 months once your feedback goes back to 100%. You only need another email account to start a new account. You can link it to this one and use the same PayPal account. You could always use this account for buying and a new account for selling.

Hopefully it won't come to that though and all will end peacefully.

Message 42 of 51
Latest reply

Yeah, thank you for the advice. I thought something similar too as she didn’t complain until almost 2 days after receiving it - I guess I’ll never know though.
I’m still waiting to receive the money through PayPal too, so I can refund her once I receive it.
She’s posting it from WA to NSW so I hope I get it sometime next week so that it can be sorted out.
Message 43 of 51
Latest reply

If you are still subjected to PayPal's 21 day hold, they will release it if you refund via a dispute. They just won't let you have access to it. Even if you weren't still subjected, they would have frozen that amount as soon as a dispute is opened.

Coming from WA, it probably won't get a scan until it reaches Sunshine West or Chullora. Hopefully it's coming via plane and not pony.

Message 44 of 51
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Coming from WA, it probably won't get a scan until it reaches Sunshine West or Chullora.

..................and hopefully it won't bounce between those two black holes and Ullenwood (and possibly back to Welshpool.).........original.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 45 of 51
Latest reply

Ahhh yes, the good ol' ping pong. Seen it all before.

Message 46 of 51
Latest reply

it was posted as standard delivery in a pre paid satchel. I posted it express to her and she received it after 4 business days so I don’t know how long standard will take
Message 47 of 51
Latest reply

I'm in NSW and I've had things arrive to WA in 4 days. Other times it's been 3 weeks. Satchels do seem to be a bit quicker a lot of the time.

Message 48 of 51
Latest reply

I received the jacket in the mail today. Opened it and there was no smell, I had to touch my nose to the jacket and the leather smelled the same all over, the lining had no smell at all around the underarms or anywhere else.

She said she’d been dealing with leather for 50 years but her email indicates she was born in the mid 70s - she’s not even 50.

Absolute fruit loop of a woman glad I won’t have to converse with her again.
Message 49 of 51
Latest reply

My guess is the size 8 jacket didn’t fit her size 10 physique and she’s in denial.
Message 50 of 51
Latest reply