Help Please. Buyer bought a buy it now but was supposed to send me a best offer.

Hello.

I am sorry to bother you  but I have a lovely buyer who asked me to list an item that had ended at a reduced price to which I agreed to. I put in a large buy it now with best offer and as a private listing and asked her to send me an offer of $50.00. The buy it now of $500 was to stop others from buying it. She has accidently bought it at the amount of $500.00. Her pension arrives on Thursday and there is no way I would ask her to go through with it but I was hoping some-one here might be able to advise if there was an easy way I could help her out of this amount and change it back to the amount we both had agreed to which was $50.00 with free postage. The buyer is not very good with computers and I am still learning myself how to navigate ebay. The item number is 161748101995.

Thank for any help you can give me.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Help Please. Buyer bought a buy it now but was supposed to send me a best offer.

Since there has been communication between you and the buyer about this I would raise a cancellation request selecting the reason as buyer requested. Don't choose the out of sock reason as this will give you a defect.

You will need to explain to your buyer that she needs to accept/agree to complete the cancellation.

Once that is done then relist it and try to get her to choose the correct button this time.

You should not get a defect out of doing it this way but I would probably call ebay first and discuss your plan with them.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I think the best thing you can do is to ring eBay and explain the situation.  Alternatively you can cancel the sale citing an error in the listing or something like.  I think you buyer needs to agree to the cancellation, but under the circumstances I don't think they will have any problems with that.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

How was thge buyer supposed to buy it?

Your listing didn't have   'Make an offer'  as an option.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I just looked at the sold listings for the OP and I can see that listing was BIN or Best Offer. 

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

My bad...........sorry

walking backwards.gif

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Since there has been communication between you and the buyer about this I would raise a cancellation request selecting the reason as buyer requested. Don't choose the out of sock reason as this will give you a defect.

You will need to explain to your buyer that she needs to accept/agree to complete the cancellation.

Once that is done then relist it and try to get her to choose the correct button this time.

You should not get a defect out of doing it this way but I would probably call ebay first and discuss your plan with them.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Hello. Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it and also for checking I had made the listing correct for the buyer. I am glad I am able to access this community and to be able to ask advise when I do need experienced help. I understand your time is limited and I really wanted to thank you for your advise.

All the best

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Hello. Thankyou for your advise.

I have sent a request to the buyer to ask if I send a cancellation request would she agree to it.

One of the concerns I have is that although the buyer is lovely the experience is not there and the buyer is not very good with ebay or computers. I did send her a detailed note originally asking her to send me a best offer. However due to inexperience and lack of confidence they were not able to send me a best offer amount and just pressed the buy it now button.. The buyer has advised me before buying that they have a very specific way of paying and that is the way they want to continue with our transaction.

I think although the buyer is lovely they are also very strong willed and I agree I will have to be very carefull how I walk them through it all. This was also one of the reasons I thought I needed more experienced advise as I did not want the buyer to be more confused than they are already by the whole process.

I also believe from what they have preciousely told me I need to cancell the transaction quickly as they are concerned unnecessarily over the $500.00 bill they have for the chamber pot.

I am very thankful for the help you have given me this time and the one other time I needed experienced help with a buyer.

All the best

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

There is a new offer avenue. When  a buyer sends a message about an item there is now also an option to send a reply with a one off offer. Even if the item does not have make an offer option. This has worked well for me so i dont have to revise an item to add in best offer option.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Hello.

Thank you for your message and for that advise. I do find I have a number of items that finish and people ask me to relist at a reduced price. I should have come on the boards before I revised the listing for the buyer to try again if they still want the item. I have relisted with the buyers name and a straight buy it now and no best offer as the buyer gets confused very easily. I hope no-one else does buy it as it was a special price just for this lovely buyer.

I would definately try your idea if this issue comes up again and thank you for taking the time to let me know. I was not aware of that option.  I do try to come on the boards each day and I have found the boards to be one of the most helpful places I have found on ebay for genuine advise on real situations. Thankyou for everyone who posts their messages. . It is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply