Help Please

Hi everyone I'm sorry that this post will be so run of the mill but I am not sure of what to do next.

I received an email today regarding a trio that I sent saying that it is damaged.  The purchaser is understandably disappointed as the cup has broken.  They suggested that I may have needed more bubble wrap as transit can be bumpy.  They have not as yet left any fb and have not mentioned any refund, only their disappointment.  This is the second parcel sent to Vic in the last 2 weeks that has had damage occur - I might say here that these are the only two items that I have had fb re damage.  The first buyer stated when I emailed her that she had been receiving quite a few damaged items and perhaps her local PO was a bit rough.  Because they said that I said I was sorry and if she ever found anything of mine she wanted to bid on and buy I would offer her 15% discount on the postage.  She was happy with that.

Now back to the trio - what do I do?  I feel that I did wrap the cup enough.  I put newspaper in the cup, bubblewrapped it then wrapped it in newspaper then into a box then 4-5 sheets of newspaper around that.  Because most trio's weigh almost 500g I put them in a 3kg pre paid satchel so there is always heaps of leeway with packaging.  I feel bad for the buyer and certainly don't want to risk getting a neg fb.

Can someone please tell me if I should contact the buyer and offer refund?  Should I send them a satchel so they can post it back to me?  Is their any way to get AP compensation and who does that?

Thank you for any help you can give me.  (Insert smiley face here!)

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Help Please

You can either refund after buyer sends you photo's of damage ie why would you want a broken cup returned??

OR,you can ask buyer to take item & packaging into post office & see if they think packaging was adequate & its their fault.

Your call IMO

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

You put a trio in a satchel?

You really thought 3 pieces of porcelain would make through the postal system in a plastic bag.....?????

The standard of adequately packed is to be able to be dropped 1.2 m on to concrete, and you sent it in a bag, in bubble wrap....

You need to look up how to double box.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

You put a trio in a satchel?

You really thought 3 pieces of porcelain would make through the postal system in a plastic bag.....?????

The standard of adequately packed is to be able to be dropped 1.2 m on to concrete, and you sent it in a bag, in bubble wrap....

You need to look up how to double box.

I put newspaper in the cup, bubblewrapped it then wrapped it in newspaper then into a box then 4-5 sheets of newspaper around that.  Because most trio's weigh almost 500g I put them in a 3kg pre paid satchel

Hi Raq-JMO but ALL of my china has come in boxes,no satchels.Foam boxes with massive amounts of packing peanuts etc & not a single damaged item.Most of my stuff has come from UK.

AND I've totally forgotten where I'm going with this :_|:^O

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

Sorry raqshaki perhaps I didn't say it clearly enough in my post.  I put newspaper into the cup, wrapped it in bubblewrap, wrapped it again in 4-5 sheets of newspaper separately from the side plate and saucer - then put it in a box, taped the box then wrapped the box in 4-5  sheets of newspaper and THEN put the box into the satchel.  I believe that if I dropped that 1.2mt on to concrete it would not smash the handle.  Thanks for you input and your suggestion though...

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

Good point foxette-in-sox why would I want a broken cup and I probably couldn't sell the saucer & side plate for enough to cover the second lot of postage.  I think  your suggestion about the photo's and contact with AP might be the way to go and perhaps refund/part refund if no luck with AP.  Thank you

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

Hiya Foxy!

Could the pieces move in the box, in the satchel?

How would the box in the satchel cope in a high weight situation of being at the bottom of on of the postal systems parcel cages?

Once again - look up double boxing.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

Oh, gosh,

Have to say I cringed when you said the words 'put it in a satchel'.

What I suggest is posting a query on the collectables and antiques board

http://community.ebay.com.au/forum/Coins-Stamps-Collectables/500000014

about the best way to pack china. You really really need to double box it.

I don't go with the dropping 1.2 metres standard. You need to be confident you can stand on a chair and hurl your parcel on to the floor as hard as you possibly can, then you get a vague idea of what Aus post will do to it.

I would refund once you get photographic evidence of the problem.

Sorry this has happened. 😞

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

If I was the buyer I would be ropeable at receiving a broken teacup. Why do sellers try to blame AusPost for the breakages? Obviously it wasnt packaged correctly before posting.

This case you SHOULD refund in full and hope you dont get a big red neg for postage.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Help Please

If I was the buyer I would be ropeable at receiving a broken teacup

You're kidding I hope ?

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply