Help needed! - PayPal reversed buyer's payment.

Hi all,

I just received a notification from Ebay telling me that the item I am selling has been purchased. I need help to decide whether I have been payed, the payment has been withheld, or the buyer simply requested a last-minute refund.

I'm new here so there might be things I don't know of.

Basically, Ebay just sent me an email saying the buyer has paid me and I should ship the item. Looking at my PayPal transactions:

That happened... I am aware that funds may be withheld for up to 21 days, but is this the issue? Here's the quote about that:
"The funds you receive from eBay sales may not be available for up to 21 days. This could be because you are still yet to meet eBay's selling and PayPal's risk standards. If the buyer reports an issue, the funds may be held for longer."

To make things more confusing, there is a 'Fee reversal' of a small sum of money into my account. For what?

Common sense tells me not to ship the item until I receive the payment in full. But that wouldn't be possible with the Seller Protection scheme, right?

So what has happened here? Did the buyer reverse the payment without Ebay telling me?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

A chargeback or reversal occurs when a buyer rejects or reverses a charge on his or her credit card

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If it was an E-cheque payment via Paypal the buyer may have cancelled it. Or as above could be a chargeback.

The fee reversal would be the 2.5% (or whatever the current fee amount is) fee you were charged when the payment went through initially. If you look at the amount reversed + the fee amount, the total should be the same as what the item sold for including postage.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I suppose in one respect you are lucky you hadn't already sent the item. (don't send until you are repaid)

The small fee reversal is what would have been paypal's fee for the sale. The amount returned should have been the same all up though.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

We had one something like this a little while back.

Thankfully we had not already mailed out the item when the reversal came thru.

The order sat on our waiting payment list so after 4-days we opened a UPI case so we could get our FVF's back.

A couple of days into that 4-days I noticed that the buyer had been made NARU and the UPI case was closed.

So something had gone wrong with the buyer account, we never knew what happened.

But we got our fees back so all good.

Lesson is I guess never mail out until you are 100% certain that payment has been received.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Same happened to me yesterday . Buyer emailed me end of auction saying she wasn't sure if payment went through as she had problems but tried again and it said that she had paid (ref 105) I had a confirmation email saying it had been paid so messaged her saying all was well. Got the item ready to post this mo went onto eBay and it said Payment refunded , I checked PayPal and it was the same as the first message in this discussion payment reversed.
I have sent an email to the buyer explaining that for some reason her payment had been reversed? How could this happen as I received no emails saying why . Can anyone shed any light on the matter? . What can I do if anything to request payment again ?
Many thanks
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

zouba09
Community Member

RE: "funds may be withheld for 21days"

Paypal should not be withholding funds for items sold via ebay (or any other source). If you email them stating that they are to cease withholding your funds immediately and that all interest on the amount withheld be credited to your account, as it is illegal to withhold access to funds within Australia. Also stress the point that you are prepared to take this matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service if your funds are not released immediately. Outline your disappointment with their actions towards a loyal customer. (Please note that they release the 21 day hold on funds and no further holds will occur, however will not credit you any interest).

Good luck 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply