Help - not selling

Up to now have successfully sold items on ebay. Not a lot, but regularly.  I usually sell on a 10 day Buy it Now Cycle. In about April I changed to a "Good Until Sold" format so I didnt have to keep renewing items.  Since then I have sold not a skidoo.  I have since changed my listings back to the 7 or 10 day format with no change. Did I do a naughty?  Im just looking for reasons.  

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Help - not selling

Do you have Seller Hub?

It has some extra statistics that weren't avaiabe before.

You can see how many impressions your items are getting (per day), how many of those convert to page views, and how many of those convert to sales. You can also compare daily figures across a 3 month period.

This might help you to see where the problems are.

For my main account, this is what I see (and my interpretation):

--my impressions have halved (fewer visitors to Ebay or is Ebay favouring me less?)

--page views form outside Ebay stopped about 6 weeks ago (change to Google algorithm, or people's use of search engines e.g. turned off ads?)

--click through rates are about the same (it's not that a new competitor is attracting buyers away from me)

--sales conversion rate is much more variable (probably an artifact of fewer impressions and hence page views--when these are hgher the data are smoother)

There are lots of other ways to use the data--e.g. you could do A/B testing across titles, categories etc. with the per item view.

Just some thoughts that might help with diagnosis

Help - not selling

OK Beaky, I have to ask because it's been bugging me. What do you mean by "impressions" that you keep mentioning? I know that I'll probably slap my head when you tell me, but at the moment it's got me stumped.

Message 12 of 47
Latest reply

Help - not selling

lol.

In the Seller Hub, under Performance>Tracking there are graphs and data about your selling account.

Impressions is how many times your items have been listed in a search or browse (for each day)

Page Views is  the number of times people have viewed your item pages (each day) and whether that traffic came from inside or outside of Ebay.

And Sales --the obvious one. Total including postage.

Then:

Click Through Rate--what % of of impressions lead to a page view--shows how well your listings (title etc.) are attracting potential customers

Sales Conversion Rate--what % of your page views lead to a sale--shows how effective your listing is at getting people to buy

There is also a table that shows the same data per item.

You can compare these things across time, or across items.

It'd be interesting to know how your own numbers compare to other sellers with similar products (or any products!) but I don't know where to find those data!

Help - not selling

I don't know where to find the seller hub. I just have a normal selling page or selling manager (not pro) if I flick over to that. I don't have a store, is it a store thing? I'm not slapping my head, I never would have picked that in a million years! Thanks for explaining.

Message 14 of 47
Latest reply

Help - not selling

I've had emails with an invitation to try it and I assumed it was for eveyone.

But I just checked and only my main account has had an invitiation, not my seconary account. So Ebay must be trialling it randomly I guess.

This link takes you to the Overview page: https://www.ebay.com.au/sh/ovw

My secondary selling account gets a page saying it's Coming Soon.

No wonder I'm making you confused!

Help - not selling

Think it is just a bad time of the year, but people are spending up big on the Goodguys with that 20% off promo -me included lol. They have sold 100s of item last few days, maybe up to 1000s by now, so everyone still has money to buy. Altho maybe not after buying up now from the Goodguys sale. The stores themselves told me they can not do it for the price, it is a deal they do with ebay    

Message 16 of 47
Latest reply

Help - not selling

Do you have Seller Hub?

No havn't got that yet .. am thinking that the stats side of seller hub would paint a clear but mosy likely rather bleak picture .. am thinking the market is in a general decline (due to a contracting economy, casualisation, under employment etc etc) and a lot of the old rules of sales success are out the window .. eg like things that used to sell individually more often than not need to be sold in a bundle with a cross referenced sweetener item to add value & garner interest .. it is all starting to feel like a last ditch effort mentality to move product for no profit or small loss is now emerging or you simply don't sell .. not easy to sell these days .. anyway good luck folks but am really not very optimistic that things will improve .. a more painless way of listing as promised in the seller hub (am hoping it is spreadsheet/pic folder ftp etc driven) would be welcome ..

Message 17 of 47
Latest reply

Help - not selling

Tippy, from the seller centre

-

We've started to roll out Seller Hub. You'll be notified when you can access it. Keep checking your account to experience it.

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/ebay-for-business/manage-listings-store

Message 18 of 47
Latest reply

Help - not selling

I have the offer one one of my IDs. i waiting for it on this one, as this is the one that can handle damage.

Message 19 of 47
Latest reply

Help - not selling

@davewil1964 wrote:

i waiting for it on this one, as this is the one that can handle damage.

I actually opted out on my store ID, and opted in on this one. Some of the known glitches may be ironed out by now, but they're still basically testing it and I'd rather explore on an ID that won't affect my selling. 

Some of the glitches that have been blamed on the seller hub include 'Notes to seller' notifications not showing on sold items (irrelevant for me, though, since I don't allow that option); stock revisions on multi-variation listings defaulting back to full quantity when revised (it doesn't happen until the changes are submitted, so going back in and editing again won't necessarily help); and other seller's PayPal email addresses appearing as the payment address in listings (that's a huge glitch, so if anyone is using the new listing tool via the seller hub, I'd keep an eye on that).

Message 20 of 47
Latest reply