Help - random International transaction

Hi all,

I have just encountered a small issue so thought I might ask for some help here on the boards.

An international buyer from the U.S has bought my item and sent an eBay invoice request asking me to send the invoice. However, along with the invoice request is a message stating : "get back to me via email to confirm the purchase by making the item number as the subject of you mail.", attaching her email address also.

Strangely, the buyer's address is displayed as coordinates and her account has 1 feedback only, being on eBay since 2015.

I am a bit skeptical now as I have recently encountered a scam where an U.S buyer had sent a message to purchase an item by contacting via email and paying bank deposit. In hindsight I have now removed bank deposit from the payment options thus leaving Paypal as the sole option for buying my items.

Though in this case, the buyer had already bought the item, which would be quite complicated to deal with. Additionally, I'm still not sure why international buyers are still able to purchase my item - so does that mean any international buyers can still buy the item unless I have put on buyer's restriction on all my listings?

I was hoping to sending a polite message stating that I do not ship internationally, although any advice would be great in regards to how I should deal with this situation as of now.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help - random International transaction

If you don't want to send internationally, explain it's for domestic postage only and cancel the transaction.

If you will post, keep all messaging within eBay so they can see it if need be.

Send an invoice with only PayPal as the payment method.

You probably won't get payment as I think you are correct, they are phishing for info.

But you never know.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You need to specifically exclude the areas you don't post to, not just state no international shipping.

it is fairly easy to do and can be applied to all your listings when you set it up, I believe.

It's in 'account>selling preferences', I think. Somewhere in your account setting anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If you don't want to send internationally, explain it's for domestic postage only and cancel the transaction.

If you will post, keep all messaging within eBay so they can see it if need be.

Send an invoice with only PayPal as the payment method.

You probably won't get payment as I think you are correct, they are phishing for info.

But you never know.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You need to specifically exclude the areas you don't post to, not just state no international shipping.

it is fairly easy to do and can be applied to all your listings when you set it up, I believe.

It's in 'account>selling preferences', I think. Somewhere in your account setting anyway.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you so much, I have proceeded with the resolution.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Will do, thanks so much for informing.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Account > Site Preferences > Postage preferences > Show > Exclude postage locations from your listings > Edit

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

sounds dodgy to me, why someone in the USA would be buying items your selling from australia seems unlikely.

id do the invoice with postage to the USA, and only accept paypal.

i would not use messaging outside ebay messaging.

send invoice, wait 4 days, when payment is not forthcomming as i suspect, file an unpaid item case.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I have never specified the countries I will not post to. I only select domestic postage services and have in my preferences to block all buyers with a delivery address I do not post to. Has always worked fine for me.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Sounds like a scammer. What I would do in this instance is, send an invoice, with PayPal as the only payment method. Increase the cost of postage to some obscene amount, like $650AU. Obviously they are not going to pay that, so after 4 days, open an unpaid item dispute and go back exactly 4 days later (not a second before) and close it. You get your fees refunded and they can't leave you feedback (plus they get a strike, but if they're a scammer, it won't bother them as they'll just create a new account).

I would be reluctant to use the cancellation process because if they decline the cancellation, you lose your fees. They are also free to trash your feedback.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply