Help with Domestic postage

I run a small business started 5 months ago. Selling hairdresing scissors and some surgical instruments. On average I post 2 parcels a day. How can I reduce my postage cost as currently, I am paying $7.20 per parcel. Can expereinced sellers help me with that pelase.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help with Domestic postage

cq_tech
Community Member
Scissors and many other smaller instruments should fit quite comfortably into either a #1 Padded Bag or similar and as long as their overall thickness doesn't exceed 20mm and their maximum weight is less than 500g, you can send those as large letters.

Under 125g costs $1.40, between 126g and 250g will cost $2.10, while 251g up to 500g will cost $3.50. The only disadvantage with this method of postage is the fact that they carry no tracking, but the addition of SOD or registered at approximate costs of $3.10 & $3.50 respectively will solve that issue.

If you don't wish to pay for Registered or SOD, you can also photograph the letter at the PO once the stamp has been cancelled, as the photo will serve as proof of postage to use as a defence against INR claims (this has been verified by Paypal) and is what I do with all of my items which are sent by large letter.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

cq_tech
Community Member
Scissors and many other smaller instruments should fit quite comfortably into either a #1 Padded Bag or similar and as long as their overall thickness doesn't exceed 20mm and their maximum weight is less than 500g, you can send those as large letters.

Under 125g costs $1.40, between 126g and 250g will cost $2.10, while 251g up to 500g will cost $3.50. The only disadvantage with this method of postage is the fact that they carry no tracking, but the addition of SOD or registered at approximate costs of $3.10 & $3.50 respectively will solve that issue.

If you don't wish to pay for Registered or SOD, you can also photograph the letter at the PO once the stamp has been cancelled, as the photo will serve as proof of postage to use as a defence against INR claims (this has been verified by Paypal) and is what I do with all of my items which are sent by large letter.
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

If you can get them into something 2cms thick, they will go as a large letter $1.40 up to 125g. $2.10 up to 250g.

Check out this listing .....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-04-SuperFlat-310x220x16mm-Large-Letter-Size-A4-size-Rigid-Envelope-Mai...

Superflat cardboard boxes which would be safer for these items than just in an envelope.  If you wrapped in bubble wrap first, then into the flat carton, it should work for you.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

you can also buy stamps on the secondary market cheaper as well (unused stamps that is). If you put say $7 worth of stamps on a parcel and walk into the post office you should be able to just pay the extra 0.20 and get a tracking number. They usually sell for about 75%.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks for your suggestion, will try that tomorrow if it works.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

While I think of it, in addition to my previous post, you can save even more money on postage by using prepaid C5 envelopes which cost around $17 in packs of 10 from you local PO, and are valid for items up to to 20mm thick and 500g in weight. These are a much better proposition for items which weigh between 125g and 500g as you're only spending $1.70 for postage instead of $2.10 or $3.50.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

yes send smaller items as letters, saves me a ton on money.

aus post really overcharges on the 500g satchel, it should really only be about $4 and they need a 1kg bag for the price that the 500g bag now sells for, big rip off.

i send dvds, cds, games as letters, wrap in bubble wrap in c5 envelope, normally 3x70c stamps depending on weight. just gotta be no thicker than 2cm.

those letter boxes look great for sending those sort of small items, cheers.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

To cQ.

I have never used these but when doing some research (a few months ago) I found that it specifically stated that the items needed to be flexible in those prepaid C5 envelopes, in contrast to a normal large letter which there is no conditions stated.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply