Here is why you should never accept PayPal for pick up items

Heres an interesting thread on Whirlpool about a seller that got defauded of $1900...

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2550554

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Here is why you should never accept PayPal for pick up items

But you can go the Ombudsman to complain about paypal....that will be enough proof for the Ombudsman to act and get your money back from paypal.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

one problem is there are a lot of sellers who dont know there is an ombudsman, who dont know about this forum or how to find it even to ask for help.

they get stung by some low life and lose money and end selling on ebay.

i'm sure there are a lot of bad deals happening that never get as far as here on the boards.

that story about the bag with the mystery grommit that miraculously fixed itself during the return proccess. that guy was a seller with a major problem who didnt come to the boards for advice.

must be lot of small instances of sellers and buyers getting screwed and we never hear about them.

i commend ebay for making listing and selling very easy as is buying, but when things go bad getting help can be difficult for the novice.

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

Yes David you are right about the limited number of members who even know about the boards.

That is why it is important for members to be given the correct information when they come here.  Often they only get half the info and still do not get a good outcome.

The Ombudsman is a life save when it comes to paypal....they usually cave in when it is even mentioned and this avoids having to even open a case.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

A big problem with this would still seem to be that the Paypal payment included postage (as mentioned by Tippy earlier).

Perhaps similiar case avoidable by cancelling the sale,refunding - then reinvoicing for item as a pick-up?

I would think it a bit strange that someone would pay the postage then want pickup (have never had it happen).  I would be in some discussion with them before they got to my door - and after this thread they won't get there until I'd cancelled and reinvoiced.

Have had many pick-ups paid by paypal with no drama - I think these buyers have all been concerned that they might be mucking me about by not paying pronto. 

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

Maybe, that member does not know of these boards.

Maybe community members might comment or pm that member?

Who knows??

(This bit is in reply to no one in perticular)

I experimented with "pickup" items on two listings, on my listings i explained that cash payment is required on pickup as there is no buyer protection from paypal on pickup items, about 8 hours later i got a nice listing violation from ebay, i dont list any pickup items now

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

Bake your mistake was in saying that Cash was required on pickup.

You should have said Cash was PREFERRED on pickup.....that was before the current change where you cannot even mention payment methods on pickup.Smiley Frustrated

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

I wouldn't offer pickup even if the person lived around the corner. I can remember from selling things in other forums that some people would agree to buy and then come to your house and try to negotiate the price down. They reckon they have leverage because you don't want to re-advertise. 

Even if you are confident you won't attract weasel buyers, it's best to include the shipping price in the item asking/starting price and then offer "free shipping".  That way it's less likely you'll get any approaches requesting pickup to avoid shipping charges. A risk when it's a low-cost item, but worth it for more expensive things.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

here's the details from another thread that a member recently posted

got an email from PayPal this morning about changes to the PayPal User Agreement.  Haven't gone to the PayPal site to get full details but the email indicates that from 15th July there will be buyer protection for eligible PickUp and Hand Delivered items.

paypal.JPG

Message 28 of 28
Latest reply