Hi All I am trying to get in touch with anyone who knows anything about Vintage Ribbon Microphones?

please contact me if you have any knowlege of Vintage Microphones as i have some i am going to be posting for sale soon but want to get some more info on them before i list them.

Looking forward to hearing from any one.

Cheers

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hi All I am trying to get in touch with anyone who knows anything about Vintage Ribbon Microphones?

A google search may give you a few answers, try the link below.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ribbon+microphones

Alternatively post this question on the collectables forum in the link below.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Coins-Stamps-Collectables/bd-p/2500000014

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Hi Thanks for the reply.

It is a particular Mic i need answers on and i have only found 2 images of it online.

I contacted the Philips Museum in Netherlands and they couldn't even help as they don't have one in their collections.

Thanks for the tip and link to the collectors forum.

Cheers

IMG_0238.jpgIMG_0239.jpg

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Maybe you can do a deal with Philips?

They should be prepared to pay what it's worth.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

No clue,personally

but I found this link

http://odemar.home.xs4all.nl/microphones/philips-mics.htm

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks For the info

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I dont know a lot about them, but have purchased and resold a few over the years. Phillips was one of the largest and most respected brands in vintage mikes along with Shure. Yours looks to be fairly good quality and should create some buying interest. When ebay was at its peak 3 or 4 years ago I could get from $100 - $600 for high quality vintage mikes, but like all things here, that may not happen now.

I also used to sell a few mikes to vintage music instrument shops on consighnment. This might be worth looking at too, as they know their stuff and get good prices. They like to have these sorts of things in the cabinets as they add interest to their store. Some people still use the ribbon mikes, particularly harmonica players who are looking for the classic blues sound. They use a different style to yours. Yours looks like a broadcasting or studio type mike.  Good Luck....Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

You say you "have some". Are they all the same as the one in the photo or different makes and styles ?  The base of yours looks like it may have been desk mounted, so possibly used for radio / broadcasting or even on a PA system in a factory or store. ( although it is fairly good quality for the PA type application. ) The mounting bracket usually unscrews, closer to the head, allowing the microphone to be mounted on a stand if needed for live performance. I had a Phillips michropone in similar style to yours, but not as old and sold it for around $350 from memory. This was untested so not sure if it worked.

The highest price I have recieved for vintage microphones was $600 for a 1920,s or 30,s Shure in the shape of a blimp, with four fins on the back etc. Blues harmonica players still use vintage ribbon microphones in an egg shape that they can clutch their hands over while playing the instrument. Again Shure is the preffered brand.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Maybe you can do a deal with Philips?

They should be prepared to pay what it's worth.

I have tried to do a few deals with museums over the years with limited success.

I did sell some plans / blue prints for vintage race cars to a British race car manufacturers museum once and have placed some Zeta litrature in the National Motor Museum, but thats about it.

I have still got a very rare automobile photo that may well have been the first Prime Ministers car in Australia. If I can authenticate the history, Comcar in Canberra have expressed intrest in purchasing the photo for their museum. I have done extensive research on the photo and in the process have debunked the offial photo of the first prime ministers car. This is verified by experts from the National Motor museum who have reviewed the research.

Unfortunately I have hit a brick wall only verifying that newspaper clippings show an official car, that pre dates the current " earliest prime ministers car". was on the roads 3 years before the official records. Without further documentation my photo is just a nice picture of a very old car.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

old period inscription on the back reads " this is the first Government motor car".

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply