Hi, I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance but...

I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance, but just registered post through Australia Post.  He wants me to claim that it's a gift of $150, am I leaving myself open to any issues further down the track?

Any help would be appreciated..

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Hi, I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance but...

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5847.asp

Stating it's a gift woth $150 is tax avoidance by your customer, and a whole world of trouble for you if it;'s picked up by customs. Plus you can't insure it for it's value if you falsely declare.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

Re: Hi, I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance but...

I would be concerned about any buyer who asks you to lie ... full stop.

He gets the Item ... says it's damaged ... lodges paypal dispute ... you lose your dough ...  how are you going to get the Item back from blooming Korea ???

Plus, cheat the Taxation dept,  your name is flagged for life. 

What $$$ difference between this buyer and your underbidder ? ... is it worth the possible angst. 

Keep honest always and life's good.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

He's not going to be a happy camper now.... wonder what my feedback will be ?
Oh well..I'll have to find a freight company that can insure this eg. Pack and Send.. Insurance will be..$520 and freight will be around $400 possibly.. plus his tax his end when I declare to it's true value will be god knows what...... ; (

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

If he says its damaged and files a chargeback with Paypal, then they seize the funds until the dispute is resolved. They do not release the money to him until the item is returned registered post, then he has to prove that freight company damaged it.. maybe i'm just worrying too much
oh and there was no underbidder it was a buy it now...
yes will take your advice on board...
Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

You could let him know you'll be declaring the full value, he might decide he doesn't want it and you can then offer to the next highest bidder - hopefully in Oz. What will happen to it if he refuses to pay duties at his end? If you have to send somethig of that value, especially overseas, I'd definitely be using a freight co - they'll make sure all the customs docs are correct for you.

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Be honest, it just isn't worth the angst to be dishonest.

Has he paid yet?

Is it worth your while looking after the insurance yourself, just for your peace of mind. It sounds a lot of money, but for international shipments and transactions, it sounds OK.

Good luck!

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

I myself wouldn't sell to Korea, either north or south, as a lot of other countries - I had trouble with buyers in China.

It is a lot of money & U are covered in your listing with what U said: " I will professionally pack and insure this item at buyers expense".

'Stick to your guns' & make him pay for the insurance OR I'd 'pull the plug' on your buyer as it seems he's up to a scam - U could be scammed out of the whole purchase price.

U could ring Paypal & ask for their advice as well.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Your postage quote to Korea is $400 so you cannot add any extra for insurance unless the buyer specifically asks for it and agrees the cost before paying. You will only be covered by Paypal if you have proof of sending to their requirements. You will be committing a criminal offense, and so will the buyer, if you make a false customs declaration and could only claim back $150 if it went missing.

I can't imagine why you would list something as problematic as available to every country in the world including Nigeria where 99.9999999% of transactions are an attempt to scam somebody.

I would tell them that you are not prepared to commit an offense by signing a false legal document so it will be declared as goods at the full cost.

Best case scenario is they don't pay so you can go through the unpaid item dispute process.

I would then think long and hard about which countries you are prepared to sell to in the future, especially expensive items that have a high delivery cost.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

South Korea charge customs duty on the total cost (Value of Item + Insurance cost + shipping cost) of 10%.

So it would be $1,300 +.

Barrie

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

And if they decide to send back for whatever reason you will have to pay the 10% customs duty back wouldn't you? I would only offer something like that in Oz and get a plane ticket and hand deliver.

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply