Hi, I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance but...

I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance, but just registered post through Australia Post.  He wants me to claim that it's a gift of $150, am I leaving myself open to any issues further down the track?

Any help would be appreciated..

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I've just sold a $13,000 item on ebay, the buyer doesn't want insurance but...

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Don't even think of sending something that expensive without Signature on Delivery and full insurance.  There is no longer Registered Post for parcels.

Why did you give the buyer a choice of postal services...you need to protect yourself and to do that the item should be fully insured.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

must be an overseas buyer if they are talking about make a false declaration

Sounds like trouble - insure and declare everything IMO

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Yes you're leaving yourself wide open to issues. Insurance is to protect you not the buyer - so of course he doesn't want it as he's protected by PayPal. I'm also pretty sure that it's against the law to knowingly state the incorrect value on an item being insured by Australia Post. If it's lost all you'll be able to claim is the value you stated on the insurance form. This item needs to have the most expensive postage with full tracking, insurance and signature on delivery to completely cover yourself for anything that might happen.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Be honest, it just isn't worth the angst to be dishonest.

Has he paid yet?

Is it worth your while looking after the insurance yourself, just for your peace of mind. It sounds a lot of money, but for international shipments and transactions, it sounds OK.

Good luck!

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Come on guys what do you all think?

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Don't even think of sending something that expensive without Signature on Delivery and full insurance.  There is no longer Registered Post for parcels.

Why did you give the buyer a choice of postal services...you need to protect yourself and to do that the item should be fully insured.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Come off it....don't be so impatient.  Give us a chance to answer.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

must be an overseas buyer if they are talking about make a false declaration

Sounds like trouble - insure and declare everything IMO

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Yes you're leaving yourself wide open to issues. Insurance is to protect you not the buyer - so of course he doesn't want it as he's protected by PayPal. I'm also pretty sure that it's against the law to knowingly state the incorrect value on an item being insured by Australia Post. If it's lost all you'll be able to claim is the value you stated on the insurance form. This item needs to have the most expensive postage with full tracking, insurance and signature on delivery to completely cover yourself for anything that might happen.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Yes I think he doesn't want insurance because he wants to save on the tax i.e he wants me to declare that it's a gift and only valued at $150.. Looking on Australia Post website, they only offer insurance up to $5,000! What do I do?

I have a TNT International business account but they don't insure 2nd hand items! Only new items, it's a vintage speaker driver....

Pack and send charge about 3 times more to ship than TNT but they offer insurance which is 4% of the total value eg. 4% of $13,000 I really don't know what to do as I don't want to lose the sale... he said he buys stuff from Australia and NZ all the time and it works best his way.. I was going to however, send it Registered Post with Signature, I think Insurance is only if item is lost or stolen through Australia Post, and if it's damaged I think it's harder to prove that Australia Post did it.. Anyway... Really appreciate the advice... any more out there?

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

I didn't give the buyer a choice on postal services, I told him I wanted him to pay for insurance...he's saying no he doesn't want to worry about it...

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Yes it's an overseas buyer, from South Korea..

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

You can't insure the item for $13,000 through Australia post if the declared value is $150, it'd be on the declaration of the value and the insurance it just wouldn't work, Australia Post only offer insurance for $5,000 anyway...

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply