Hi,Is it safe to post an expensive coin to a PO Box with tracking + signature ?

zoobie5555
Community Member

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If you mean a PO box in Australia, then yes it is safe as they will check ID before handing it over. If it's a PO box overseas then it's a different story, some are safe but many are not.

You should take out insurance as well for that amount of money, presuming it's the Krugerrand.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks,

Yes the Krugerrand, but it is too an Australian PO Box.

I am sure Australia Post insureance does not cover such items anyway

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

I think you will find that AP does insure coins.....the Mint sends their coins out with AP as does the Perth Mint.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Ooh mate are you want to be posting something of that value? Just a heads up, all a scammer has to do is open a return case and send back an empty package and you've lost your money. I would do pick up only

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Safer then getting it sent to a home address, I often get coins sent here to my home address from the mint. The packaging clearly says signature required (Pre contactless delivery). The postie would often just dump them on my front door step, without signature. A couple were worth over a thousand bucks, yet the next day they would make me go to the PO to pickup a parcel that didnt require a signature and was only worth $5. At least a PO box is secure.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Anyone who sells bullion gold on eBay is asking to be scammed.

Just asking for trouble. Gold is money in another form.

I never list bullion gold on eBay. Take it to the bullion dealer instead for immediate cash payment which would probably more than you get on eBay once the fees have been deducted.

Just far too easy to be duped.

They buy the gold, open a dispute and send back a penny. Seller loses, big time, every time.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@yeoldecoinco wrote:

Anyone who sells bullion gold on eBay is asking to be scammed.

Just asking for trouble. Gold is money in another form.

I never list bullion gold on eBay. Take it to the bullion dealer instead for immediate cash payment which would probably more than you get on eBay once the fees have been deducted.

Just far too easy to be duped.

They buy the gold, open a dispute and send back a penny. Seller loses, big time, every time.

That why you put a statutory declaration clause in your refund clause.  to stop that.   If a buyer goes to the trouble of getting the statutory declaration then pulls the above.   The cops throw the book at them for fraud etc.   which in turn gives the seller a way in the door for refunds etc....   

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

How many times has that worked for you?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

works without fail.  there nothing in the law to stop you from requesting a stat dec but is also a powerfully legal document.   As if you lie on them you can be charged.  Also if someone eg a cop doctor etc signs it they will ask what it for etc.   And here where it a powerfully tool the cops doctor etc will not sign it without a sighting the item and b watching in go into package.<<<<< every powerful tool for a seller to protect against fraud.   

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply