Hi monthly change to ebay guidelines for free listings

Hi Last month I was told that ebay only allows good til cancelled listings to renew for free every 30 days as part of their 40 free listings per month promotion if I relist all my items under the quick listing tool. This was after the previous month where I had listed items under regular tool. This was an inconvenient thing to have to relist to avoid insertion fees.

What about those who have to relist hundreds of items using the quick listing tool being told that it would renew without having to pay insertion fees? Has this rule changed again and can I still use the quick listing tool which I was told would allow me to have hundreds of items relist for free until they sold providing no more than 40 were listed per month?

I understand fees are a part of ebay but $1:65 insertion fee per month for a $10 item is a loss-loss for sellers when they pay this fee for most items every month and i'll sell elsewhere and keep my listings on ebay below 40. Don't want to list 300 items for 10 dollars each and come out just on top for all that effort. Any item that takes longer than 4 months to sell i'm getting close to negative figures.  And they can't be combined in the one listing because they are different items and even then, ebay will change it's rule again. 

What have the patterns been over the years regarding promotions for free listings per month? Do they come and go? Do they change each month? What have you done when you have build a store full of low priced items which are drowned out by insertion fees? Turn them into auctions for a quick sale?

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any contributions.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hi monthly change to ebay guidelines for free listings

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it sounds like you could be referring to an earlier discussion on GTC whereby members were under the assumption that if they listed with the quick listing tool, regardless of how many listings they had, they would be free to roll over every month, without paying an insertion fee. 

Are you saying that you listed more than 40 last month with the quick lister and you are now paying an insertion fee on the ones in excess of your 40 freebies? That's a bit of a worry! I don't have any answers apart from getting in touch with eBay and reading them the policy where it states that using the quick listing tool isn't supposed to be charged an insertion fee on relist. 

Do you get the $1 weekend listings? Check in the promotion box down the bottom of your All Selling page. You can list as many items as you like and only pay a maximum of $1 FVF's. I have all my auctions set to end on weekends without the auto relist box being ticked. Any GTC listings that are due to end within the next 7 days get ended and manually relisted. I never use any of my 40 freebies these days.

There is also another promo that ends tomorrow, unlimited free listings (no insertion fees, but FVF's still apply). If you have that one, you could end and relist everything before tomorrow and then you get another free month. Then if another promo doesn't appear, end all except 40 before they are due to roll over.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, I was told items would relist for free the following month. Do you have more informtion on this (thread? I only got the promotion this month so they are set to roll over in a few days so will see whether they count towards free listings or not. How long do you think this promotion will last for? I'm not getting my hopes up. I have only been using ebay to sell for about 2-3 months. I'm also using gumtree and facebook predominantly but ebay is a safer platform that reaches wider audiences. I was told this promotion applied to everyone and was site wide. Do they monitor each account and apply suitable promotions? It appeared I got this promotion a few days after telling ebay I had thousands of VHS that were not worth the effort listing then inconveniently I was given the quick listing option and was able to list multiple items in the one listing (could be handy for some items if the listings remains active after first sale but haven't tried).

Some good ideas. However, promotions seem to change all the time making them more and more difficult to apply for those with bigger stores. No I do not get the $1 weekend listings. Is that $1 FVF for each listing, or all listings? I usually list for a few hours at a time so this could be a good idea. Is it only for auctions? 

I did get unlimited free listings for a few days which i used up for about 12 items and they relisted for free too before I had to relist everything using the quick tool. But are these tactics manageable for stores with about 1,000 items? 

Also, could someone please tell me if you pay insertion fees with stores (collectable category?) and how do stores selling dvds for $4 including postage with 2000 items afford to relist their dvds when the majority do not sell? Would insertion fees be $1:65 still? Do they use some of the thrifty tactics above? or are their items relisted for free each month? Or do these big sellers get bigger and better promotions?

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Media listings over the store included listings are 6c. If you have an eBay store.

Most of the stores you are referring to are probably in China, where different rules apply.

On eBay a store refers to a store. A facility where the seller pays a monthly fee to list up to 600, 1500 or 250,000 items.

So, in your context, and to avoid confusion please only use the term 'store' when you are referring an eBay store.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

okay that explains it. Yeah, i didn't know how to refer to it? my ebay page might work. 6 cent per listing definetly makes sense. I didn't see this when i read through pricing but must have missed it? Does this apply to VHS? how about pricing for other categories? Thanks. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

6c ONLY applies if you have an eBay store. Otherwise it is $1.65.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Click on Seller Centre down the bottom of the page and work your way through some of the relevant sections, especially the one for fees. There's a very comprehensive pdf list of fees showing all the different categories and non-store and store levels.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply