Holding payments

Just wondering if anyone is having any problems with the new holding payments Ebay is doing . 

Under their own terms if i was to sell a item overseas as 

Australia Post International Economy Air . Then payment will not be put on hold . 

• Holds won't apply to orders where the selected delivery option was local pickup, Click & Collect from the retailer, or one of following services:
    • Australia Post Domestic Regular Letter Untracked
    • Australia Post Domestic Priority Letter Untracked
    • Australia Post International Economy Sea
    • Australia Post International Economy Air
    • International Economy: untracked

Every item i have sold since being placed on this is being put on hold awaiting a tracking number . Every single one . 

So the problem is that this postage service has no tracking number . 

Also i understand i could up to a higher service ( which i do anyway to be paid ) and add a tracking number but in some cases there is no tracking number . 

Example this morning i sold a item under the terms that it was Economy Air , I was going to send the next one up but there is still no tracking . So i would have to send via express for 2 and half times the costs just to get a tracking number or wait up to 6 weeks in order to get paid . What happens in finding out if buyer has item anyway ? . Many buyers you never hear from again . 
If it is missing them i completely lose out . I am not willing to sell and send under these terms . More so i cant understand how they go against their own terms anyway.  

If a item is sold untracked within Australia it is freed on being paid . 

ta 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Holding payments

Yes, I am also a little puzzled by this.  At times I post in a letter format and there is no tracking number involved, but if Buyer says item has not been received we go through the return or refund process. Many Buyers also do not leave feedback.  In the meantime my Seller account is being charged the Final Value Fees.  Hence, I cannot understand how this act of holding payments is fair to the Sellers?

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

It seems you are not making a tracked postage option available, so the buyer does not get to make a choice.

As far as I understand, if you do not make a tracked postage option available for the buyer to choose, then the hold on payment is valid.  

Note, you   also lose all protection against  INR claims, whereas if you offer a tracked service but it is not chosen by the buyer, it is the buyer who is relinquishing their protection,

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

That's interesting GP, I've never heard anyone mention that scenario before.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

I have not seen any mention of it and feel it would be easy to offer a tracked option at a much dearer price to avoid issues with  non delivery.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

I dont think this is the case as it is not offered on Australian post and never had a problem . 

Also i can also when i ring ebay later in day and speak to someone with a brain, then the  funds released as normal . The problem is i should not have to do this and every international transaction . 

INR claims, there is no claim. Ebay will always pay the buyer . Tracking really only covers insurance from Australia post . 

I am thinking its a fault in the system . 

Just like the fault that stops buyers many times from commbinding items and then asking for postage . This has buyers paying multiply postage which ebay get commission on but again unless you ring you dont get back .  They all work in Ebay's favor . 

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

Agree but the problem with this is that many buyers do not wish to pay the high costs of that . Most items make it and in 17 years i have had very few get lost , delayed yes but not lost . 

This in itself costs sales i believe in lower costs / weight items . There can at times be a huge difference in costs. 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

If you send an item with tracking and meet your handling times, as long as the item shows 1 valid tracking event,  then ebay covers you against  INR claims,  note they still often make a goodwill payment to the buyer, but that is soley at ebays cost.

Recently had an item sent to WA,  buyer claimed INR, tracking showed item delayed due to rail closure, ebay extended the claim by ten days,  seven days into the claim extension the item was delivered.   Ebay then closed the INR claim and even though the item was now delivered they still made a goodwill payment to the buyer,  So the buyer got the item and their money back,  I kept the sale proceeds less the ebay FVF.  No dispute fees, no penalties metric defects etc.

Note the result for me would have been unchanged, even if the item never arrived, as I had met all my obligations to ebay and the buyer.

Having been scammed big time ,in the early days of selling on ebay,  I will not send anything without tracking, one way or another this cost is met by the buyer, and since covid  I will only ship international via express, no exceptions and again all costs are met by the buyer.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

As per my earlier post regarding my understanding of tracking holds.

Note:  I may have it wrong!!

I have orders that are applicable for an exclusion from tracking payment holds. How does eBay identify these transactions?

For each order, we will check to see which postage option has been selected. If  you have selected any of the excluded services below, the funds for these orders will not experience a tracking payment holds even if you have a valid tracking performance under 95% for tracked services. 

If a seller selects the below services in the item’s listing and the buyer selects this service when they checkout, the transaction will not be eligible impacted by payment holds:

• Local Pick Up: Seller offers Local Pick Up as an shipping option and buyer selects this option to collect their items. 
  • Click & Collect from the retailer: Seller offers Click & Collect from their bricks & mortar store and buyer selects this option to collect their items. 
  • Australia Post Domestic Regular Letter Untracked service
  • Australia Post Domestic Priority Letter Untracked service
  • Australia Post International Economy Sea service
  • Australia Post International Economy Air service
  • International Economy: untracked service 

Note: If multiple services are available for the same items, the buyer must select one of the services listed above when they checkout in order to not be impacted by tracking payment holds.

How is valid tracking identified?

A tracking number is classified as valid if: 

• A tracking number is uploaded to the order; AND

• The carrier used is an eBay integrated carrier; AND

• At least one tracking event is shown in My eBay.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Holding payments

Yes this is what ebay say . 
If a seller selects the below services in the item’s listing and the buyer selects this service when they checkout, the transaction will not be eligible impacted by payment holds

Australia Post International Economy Air service

So why is it when the buyer is agreeing to buy with this postage that it is still being put on hold ?

I cannot get a answer for this or a reason . In fact what i am getting is BS 

I was told by ebay chat ( Indian version ) That it was because if no tracking it gets held till delivered . Again how will they know when its delivered . This is against their own terms. The terms being they are sold and bought under being sent Australia Post International Economy Air service

I kid you not , i was told.

That i changed the postage form after the sale but then agree that i could not do that but then said it again later . 
That I sold it under standard postage because when looking at it , yes listing showed standard postage but that was for within Australia . Standard postage in Australia has tracking on parcels. 
They refused to answer simple questions and then they hung up . 

When i rang back later in day ( Irish ) I was told i was correct , a few buttons pressed and within 2 hours money was released . No tracking details needed . 

I have yet another one sold last night , same deal , bought as Australia Post International Economy Air service  but yet is on hold . How are you meant to put a tracking number on it is it is not issued one ? 

The really dumb thing about this is that as Australia post will say tracking international means it is simple tracked to the board no further.  So a tracking number is simply proof it has been posted . 

I really are at a lost over this . 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply