How can we offer single flat freight on multiple different items?

Hi All

We wish to offer customers free shipping (domestic and international) on any additional items on an order. We can do it for multiple SAME items but when multiple DIFFERENT items are added to cart, there is freight on each item.

Can someone help with how we get arround this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

eBay's favourite past time seems to be making things confusing and/or difficult. ๐Ÿ˜„

Ok, so when you list an item and enter in the postage costs, there's an extra field where you can input a cost for each additional item - that discount is listing specific, so will only ever apply to that item alone (just to confuse things even more, if you have any variation listings and someone buys two of the same variation, the "each additional item" discount will apply, but if they buy two different variations, the "each additional item" discount won't apply, as eBay treats them as if they were two separate listings Smiley Frustrated )

What you need to do is create a global postage rule, and apply that to all listings that you want to have the discount in place.

The easiest way to access this option is to go to one of your listings, on the top lefthand side will be a short list of links, including one that says "create postage discounts"

create postage discounts.PNG

Once you click that, you will arrive at a screen that shows you the various options for creating postage discounts, and any profiles that you have already set up (if any) - on mine, I use flat rate postage, so have created flat rate postage discounts (on a side not, if you use calculated postage, the process should be the same, and just re: promotional postage discounts, they're 'special' in the sense that they are used to create rules like buy X items and the buyer gets free post - promotional postage rules override any other postage discounts in place, if the conditions are met, so you won't need that if you just want to do flat rate).

This is what my screen looks like for postage discounts:

discount profile page.PNG

You can see I have two profiles created under 'Flat postage', the clothing one is old and no longer in use, the jewellery one is in use, and you can see that it's showing $0 is charged for additional items.

To create a profile, you'll need to click 'Create' (or 'Edit') on the type of rule you want to create, so in this case I clicked 'Edit' on my flat rate discounts and get this screen:

create profile screen.PNG

You can see that on the jewellery discounts profile, I've set it to free postage per additional item, and that I can add other profiles if I want different discounts to apply to different items. Once you enter in the additional cost per item (or tick free post) and name the profile, you click next and the profile should be created / saved.

Then you have to add it to your listings. To add or check listings manually, you need to revise it and scroll down to the postage section, where there is a tickbox for the postage discount profile (down the bottom, where it says 'Apply my flat postage rule with profile name...' and then a drowpdown menu where I can select the profile I want to apply) :

edit item screen.PNG

I checked to see if you can apply the same rule to international postage options, and you can, so that won't be a problem. 

Also, you should be able to add the profile to every listing you have if you edit them in bulk via Selling Manager (if you need assistance with that, I can walk you through that as well, but you might have to give me 'til later tonight as I won't be at the computer for a while, or someone else may be able to advise ๐Ÿ™‚ )

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

That was it!

Created the promotional rule, applied to all lsitings, now same flat fee for all. Smiley Happy

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive answer.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You have to set up postage discount rules and apply them to your listings. I do flat rate Australia wide but don't send internationally so I'm not 100% sure if the one rule will apply in both cases, but if you need any help setting it up, I'll post some screenshots.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for this. We have setup postage discounts but it appears to only be applying to multiple SAME items. Put different items in the cart and postage keeps adding up. Confused for sure.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

eBay's favourite past time seems to be making things confusing and/or difficult. ๐Ÿ˜„

Ok, so when you list an item and enter in the postage costs, there's an extra field where you can input a cost for each additional item - that discount is listing specific, so will only ever apply to that item alone (just to confuse things even more, if you have any variation listings and someone buys two of the same variation, the "each additional item" discount will apply, but if they buy two different variations, the "each additional item" discount won't apply, as eBay treats them as if they were two separate listings Smiley Frustrated )

What you need to do is create a global postage rule, and apply that to all listings that you want to have the discount in place.

The easiest way to access this option is to go to one of your listings, on the top lefthand side will be a short list of links, including one that says "create postage discounts"

create postage discounts.PNG

Once you click that, you will arrive at a screen that shows you the various options for creating postage discounts, and any profiles that you have already set up (if any) - on mine, I use flat rate postage, so have created flat rate postage discounts (on a side not, if you use calculated postage, the process should be the same, and just re: promotional postage discounts, they're 'special' in the sense that they are used to create rules like buy X items and the buyer gets free post - promotional postage rules override any other postage discounts in place, if the conditions are met, so you won't need that if you just want to do flat rate).

This is what my screen looks like for postage discounts:

discount profile page.PNG

You can see I have two profiles created under 'Flat postage', the clothing one is old and no longer in use, the jewellery one is in use, and you can see that it's showing $0 is charged for additional items.

To create a profile, you'll need to click 'Create' (or 'Edit') on the type of rule you want to create, so in this case I clicked 'Edit' on my flat rate discounts and get this screen:

create profile screen.PNG

You can see that on the jewellery discounts profile, I've set it to free postage per additional item, and that I can add other profiles if I want different discounts to apply to different items. Once you enter in the additional cost per item (or tick free post) and name the profile, you click next and the profile should be created / saved.

Then you have to add it to your listings. To add or check listings manually, you need to revise it and scroll down to the postage section, where there is a tickbox for the postage discount profile (down the bottom, where it says 'Apply my flat postage rule with profile name...' and then a drowpdown menu where I can select the profile I want to apply) :

edit item screen.PNG

I checked to see if you can apply the same rule to international postage options, and you can, so that won't be a problem. 

Also, you should be able to add the profile to every listing you have if you edit them in bulk via Selling Manager (if you need assistance with that, I can walk you through that as well, but you might have to give me 'til later tonight as I won't be at the computer for a while, or someone else may be able to advise ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

That was it!

Created the promotional rule, applied to all lsitings, now same flat fee for all. Smiley Happy

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive answer.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Glad it helped ๐Ÿ™‚

I forgot to mention something that may be important, though - these combined discount rules will only work on items that have the same postage service selected, by which I mean if you've selected something like "standard postage" on some, and "parcel post" on others, if a buyer purchases items with different postal services on the listings, the full rate will be applied to the first postage amount of each type, and then the discounts kick in.

eg If they buy 1 item with standard postage at $5, and 2 items with "parcel post" at $5, they'll be charged $10 postage ($5 for the standard, $5 for the parcel post, and $0 for the second parcel post), so on mine I've selected the same services on every listing, no matter how I'll actually be posting it

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Wow, you are amazing! I know it's been over 4 years since you wrote this but I've only just found it now and this is still very much a "hair-pulling out" issue. I've tried contacting ebay themselves multiple times regarding this issue and they could never explain or tell me how to offer this service. Your explanation was so simple and easy to follow that ebay themselves should copy and paste what you have said here onto their official wiki on setting up flat rate "combined shipping" rules page. Massive thank you again! 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply