How do I cancel this sale without getting a defect?

I sold an item (thermal printer) to someone in Japan. I did some research and found out that Lithium batteries are prohibited to import there.

I have already explained the situation and refunded the buyer. <- That was all yesterday.

Today, I was chatting with eBay (via the online help chat feature) and they gave me the run-around, not really answering my question on how to cancel this transaction without getting an account defect, until the 5th time I asked the question. S/he said to (paraphrasing): "mark the item as shipped and move the listing to the deleted section." They also said that: "any negative will be removed" but I don't know how true that would be.

But, if I mark the item as shipped, but don't actually ship it to them (because I can't), won't I still get a I.N.R claim?

I've searched Google and couldn't find the answer to my problem, so I'd thought I'd ask here. This is the first time it has happened to me.

This is also the first time I sold something to someone outside of Australia. I put the listings to ship worldwide, but never had anyone not in Australia purchase anything because of the high shipping cost (I ship direct). Should I just stick with selling within Australia to prevent this sort of thing happening again? I don't want to always check what items are prohibited in the buyers' country, because they didn't do it themselves.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Something wrong with buyer's address would be better-no defect for that one

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Can you still see the option  cancel the  sale - countries I don't post to?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Something wrong with buyer's address would be better-no defect for that one

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

yes, sorry, that's what I meant, I couldn't remember the words

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

In the sold listing there should be a section that reads more action click on that and follow what you want to do.

Not sure what will happen though as you have already refunded the buyer so if you get the option to cancel I think the buyer then needs to let ebay know they got the refund

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks, I cancelled using "problem with buyer's address", but it still says to ship the item. 😞

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

That's what I mean when I said the buyer now has to inform ebay they received a refund so perhaps you can send the buyer another polite message asking them to let ebay know they have been given the refund and once they do that and depending on how long that process takes for ebay to receive the info ebay will then notify you and issue you your fees back.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply