what percentage do others take selling clothes for other people ?

Hi People of EBay,

I have been selling clothes and many other items for friends & friends of friends for quite a few years now.

Currently I take 50% + ebay fees from each sale.

As every item is different I spend a fair bit of time researching the brand, photographing and measuring. Also sometimes having to launder items to make them sellable, and of course store them in my home, which takes up space.

It's a fair bit of work, which I generally enjoy.

Recently a lady I know, lets call her Daisy brought me 20 good items to sell,

having previously discussed fees with her.

Today I confirm my fees, and Daisy messages me saying she's "disappointed and was under the impression it was a flat 50%"

I have already started listing her items, and feel slightly undervalued.

I pay ebay fees on postage + final sale price.

Should I return all her items, and stick with the people who are just happy to earn some extra cash ?

What do other people do ?

cheers

m

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

So you're selling items for other people, do you realize that you have to declare all your earnings to the ATO?

That means while you'll need to show your total income and have to pay tax on 100% of the earnings you're giving 50%+ to those friends that basically won't have to pay any income tax at all.

You're the one that's going to loose out here.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I know zero about selling clothes.

I do know how to buy themSmiley Happy

I also don't want to hang around for 7 days waiting for an auction to finish...I need them now...to quote a famous member "the majority" of buyers would agree with me.

12 of your last 14 sales have ended with one bid.

Why not throw a few bucks on to the price of your items & list as BIN?...just a suggestion

Best regards.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

This would be the other person's choice, i would think - they can either say that's an acceptable rate, even if begrudgingly, or they can say it's not. 

Personally I wouldn't enter in to any agreements, accept stock or do any work before advising someone of the costs - much better for someone to commit after they know how much they'll be paying you. I know you said you discussed with her already, but either they weren't listening or didn't grasp it was 50% of the nett revenue and not 50% of the gross revenue - to counter people like that, send them written confirmation of the agreement after discussing with them through whichever way you normally do, and include a sample of what they would get from the sale of an $X item. 

eg (and for the sake of ease, I'll assume postage is not included in the gross revenue, but that the fee on postage is included in the costs deducted to get the nett revenue, I'm also using the pre-managed payments FVF because I can't remember the post-MP fee Smiley LOL).

Sale of $50 item, with $10 postage

Less FVF of 10.9% ($6.54)

$50 - 6.54 = $43.46

$43.46 รท 2 = $21.73

Final payout figure to consignee* = $21.73

(Not sure if that's the right term - someone correct me if I am wrong, lol). 

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

I know zero about selling clothes.

I do know how to buy themSmiley Happy

I also don't want to hang around for 7 days waiting for an auction to finish...I need them now...to quote a famous member "the majority" of buyers would agree with me.

12 of your last 14 sales have ended with one bid.

Why not throw a few bucks on to the price of your items & list as BIN?...just a suggestion

Best regards.

There's this thing called adrenaline and I've seen it in action on many auctions where a bidder bids a higher amount than what the item had as a BIN price, it must give a bidder so much satisfaction from winning the item (paying a lot more doesn't seem to even come into the equation) at a much higher price but it would make the sellers even more satisfied receiving more than they asked.

So some auctions are worth more for a seller than a BIN but hey each to their own.

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

If I were a seller I don't think I could be bothered with all items being auction. Also, the HIGH bidder is just as likely to become a NPB once they realise how silly they have been.

I am with tuck, I want it and I want it now.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

, I want it and I want it now.

Hold that thought...it will take a while to catch the horse & upsaddle.Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

In my B & M days, I took 20% commission on consignment of goods.  Which was the going rate.  I thought it still was.   Does ebay make that rate too low?

I'm sure the owner of the plate, going for $5 with $15 postage, will be grateful to get their hands on their 50c profit. 

Your postage on some items does appear to be a little on the high side  IMO  smiley-girl-thinking_189938955.gif

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

In my B & M days, I took 20% commission on consignment of goods.  Which was the going rate.  I thought it still was.   Does ebay make that rate too low?

I'm sure the owner of the plate, going for $5 with $15 postage, will be grateful to get their hands on their 50c profit. 

Your postage on some items does appear to be a little on the high side  IMO  smiley-girl-thinking_189938955.gif

Mister Speaker, Mister Speaker...Point of order.

How does the Honourable Minister for Stawkology know the plate has been consigned?

In addition the fiver is the starting price & may sell for much more (doubtful I know)

Opposition benches shot HEAR, HEAR & wave order papers.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply