How do I change country?

Hello. 

I originally registered my account in the UK years ago and have been buying and selling occasionally. Recently however, I have moved to Australia, and even though I've updated my address, my account is still tied to the UK. 

How can I change my country? 

Also, if this requires contacting ebay support, how can I do this? I see no option to contact a human being, everything on the site seems to loop back to support articles. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: How do I change country?

dakoolk
Community Member

I have a similar problem. Moved from Germany to Australia, but have quite a bit more feedback than the OP (74). I know it's not a ton, but I'm an occasional user. Low limit of selling is no the only problem with overseas account. Some offer discount codes won't work (e.g. site-wide 12% off), which is frustrating.

I just got a nice consultant on the chat confirm that due to recent changes and differences in services offers between Europe and Australia, migration is not possible. The consultant said they logged a feature request in the internal feedback system, but I must admit I'm not holding my breath for a change... 😞
What is even more frustrating though is that I was able to migrate my account 2 times before - from the US to Poland and from Poland to Germany, so the potential buyer would see that my account goes waaay back to 2006.
We probably don't have another choice, but to set up a new account and start getting feedback from the bottom 😞

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@dakoolk wrote:

We probably don't have another choice, but to set up a new account and start getting feedback from the bottom 😞

You only have 2 feedback as a seller from more than a year ago, so eBay will see you as a "new seller" with all the restrictions involved in that if you decide to start selling again. As a buyer your feedback and length of membership means very little,  no less than 70 0dd feedback in over 20 years as a member.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Go to "Account Settings", "Personal Information", "Addresses", "Postage Address". 

Here you can change your delivery address to wherever you are in the world. Make your new address your primary address by either clicking "Make primary" next to the address you want or, at the bottom of the page click "add another address".

Hope this helps

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

OP is now registered in Australia. Who'd a thunk, nine months later.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

I had a US account that I successfully changed address details etc to Australian some years ago. Recently started working on using it as a second selling account (360+ feedback) but ebay.com.au seems to still consider it to be US based - can't add payment info required etc. Guess I need to try contacting ebay CS - but was really hoping to find a solution here 🙃

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I started my account in 2009 in Australia, moved to UK a few years ago and migrated the account there without issue. Just moved back to Australia but couldn't migrate my account back! Found this thread and realised I wasn't alone. Phoned customer support and a friendly Irish support agent apologised and said it can't be migrated anymore, something to do with the payments system in the UK, and advised me to make a new Australian account. Wasn't particularly understanding about my frustration to lose my 248 100% positive feedback rating. So I made a new account and started purchasing items. 

5 days later, the new account is suspended and purchases cancelled (my Black Friday bargains!). I contact eBay customer support to smooth things out and they instead PERMANENTLY SUSPEND my account and don't provide a reason other than keeping eBay safe. They refuse to explain, then end the chat. 

I then received an email saying that any other accounts I have will also be suspended. It seems that I as a person am banned from eBay. No apparent recourse. No idea whether my fault was having the 2 different accounts, or perhaps using my wife's debit card for a purchase (which arrived at our new address before mine arrived), or who knows what else. 

Just wanted to share the experience in case it helps anybody else. Essentially, my advice would have to be either accept your non-migrated account and the limitations that come with it, or accept the risks of being banned from eBay. 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Unless you were planning on selling, it shouldn't have been an issue. Even then it shouldn't have been an issue. As long as your address had been changed in ebay (and PayPal if that's how you were planning on paying), no problems. 

There are plenty of sellers that sell in Australia with overseas accounts. Same with buyers. I don't know why you felt you needed to "migrate" your account.

As for your 100% feedback, as a buyer, that is all you can ever have, so it's nothing to be excited about and it certainly isn't a selling point to reinstate your account.

Your account is still saying registered in Australia, so I don't know why you felt the need to "migrate" anything back from the UK when it was already an Australian account.

If ebay have suspended you, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. You could try a live chat, but I doubt they'll lift the suspension. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

a.l.99
Community Member

Signed up to ebay US in 1998!

Moved to UK, then to Australia, then back to UK, changed my account every time...

Now I'm back in Oz and am permanently stuck in UK, with a feedback of 600+ accumulated over 25 long years...

eBay AU sucks anyway these days, so yet another disincentive to keep using it...

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply