How do I get compensated for an item I sold on Ebay that was damaged during shipping?

I sold a perfume on Ebay and I posted the item to a different state through Australia Post. 

The buyer contacted me and said that the perfume was damaged during the shipping process. The perfume leaked through the bottle and there's no liquid left inside the bottle. As a result, the buyer asks for a refund. 

I have given the buyer full refund. As the damage was done by Aust Post, do you know what the process is for claiming for a compensation through Aust Post (As a seller)? THe value of the perfume is under $100. Many thanks.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How do I get compensated for an item I sold on Ebay that was damaged during shipping?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

It’s a hard ask getting compensation for a damaged item from AP. AP would almost certainly say you didn’t package the item with sufficient care - and that’s not even going into the whole dangerous goods issue.

You should be packaging so as to let items withstand throwing and dropping and having heavy parcels chucked on top of them. 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

As far as I know you need approval from Aust Post to send perfume. Not sure how you will go as the buyer is the one who takes the parcel to the Post Office to make a claim where it will left to be inspected and a decision made and they are compensated. So if you are not allowed to send perfume this may be an issue and hopefully someone may come along who has first hand experience on sending perfume. 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Despite you listing items as  new without box,  descriptions indicate items are part used and unsealed.

Don,t see you being entitled to compensation from anyone.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Oh dear........ Two things..............

Do you understand what "new without box" means? Just in case you don't............

New without box: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item that is not in original retail packaging or may be missing original retail packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached. For example, new shoes (with absolutely no signs of wear) that are no longer in their original box fall into this category.

Let me guess, you can't list used perfumes as used? To me, that's like trying to list used make-up. YUCK! Please tell me you don't try and sell used make-up too?

Secondly, you appear to be sending dangerous goods without having a dangerous goods licence. Seriously, let it go. Don't draw attention to yourself with AP or you could find yourself in court. Especially if this flammable liquid had spilled out so the bottle was empty. Your poor packaging could have caused serious harm to someone. I wouldn't be pushing it. Just learn to package better.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

You don't require a dangerous goods licence to send items with Aust Post or any courier for that matter. You just need to pay the extra they charge for the service.

Plus if the bottle had been opened it may have leaked if it went by air which if they signed the declaration on the parcel it can be sent that way. 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Have to love this one :

New Without Box - only 30% left.

This perfume was discontinued in 1999.

Screenshot_20240107-085127_Chrome.jpg

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

You are not entitled to compensation for the numerous reasons already listed

The 'value' of the old, used perfume and falsely advertised would have been zip

And you seriously need to remove the other perfumes you also have falsely listed as 'brand new' before eBay does

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

To say nothing of - not declaring it - which I very much doubt happened - given - it was an open bottle - which totally leaked - went by air.

Kind of makes one want to cancel their next flight.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply