How do they do it ?

Bought a trailer lock a while back, the type that fit into the tow ball socket and locked with a key so trailer can not be towed away, paid $44.00 for it at Supercheap, anyhow only been on the trailer a month and now sold, so as no longer needed, thought right will sell it on Ebay, say around half price, not sure what to charge for postage as is fairly bulky and weighs close to half a kilo, anyhow look on Ebay and be buggered.

Sellers are selling it  for around $19.00 with free postage, way i figure it it would cost minimum $10.00 plus dollars to post and what get the item for $ ??? and your Ebay, Paypal fees ect and still make a profit, and no they are not Chinese, nor are they Chinese sellers pretending to be in Australia, in other words paying full postage not subsidised postage, well there goes any chance of selling it on Ebay, unles i sell it what maybe $8.00 free postage (not worth the effort). eg item 182010512497

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: How do they do it ?

Those trailer locks are very heavy and expensive. 
We have one on our boat trailer, but need on on our campervan too....  Man Wink

While gumtree is ok, i find it awful to browse, search, upload, and after about 10mins of being on there, i get frutrated with it and close it down!
Im always getting something about *long-running-script* messages... ergghhhh.....

You should have sold it to the guy who bought your trailer Man Happy

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Yes my point of this post not so much as how i going to sell the tralier lock, but as you pointed out they are a heavy item, and was wondering how these aussie sellwrs are able to sell them below $20 with free postage, surely postage alone for a heavy bulky item is not cheap, i mean it is not a T-shirt or a lightweight article to post Australia wide.

As to selling it to the buyer of the trailer, well they are on a rural property in SA, were you can apperently leave your vehicle unlocked keys in ignition and will still be there the next week.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Going by the large quantity, I would guess that they've bought these wholesale from an overseas location (probably China) so the cost would probably be below $10.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

I've been purchasing my packaging items from a big seller quite frequently and picking them up myself to save on postage costs. I beleive the guy in the warehouse is Chinese and after picking up those packaging envelope he asks me if I want to post things thru his company as it is far more cheaper than Aus post and you even get tracking. I declined due to the fact I only post at letter rate, but I think this may be one way how they do it in Australia for cheap.
Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@pacotrading wrote:

Ok Digi, may have one or two of those boxes kicking around saves a $1.80, dont have any ink in the printer, cheaper to get office works to pint the label for bugger all, but as is used would still have to sell for one third of my new price to get listing noticed against all the big time sellers, who i do not think are selling as loss leaders, i gather they buy in bulk, and as you said as they sell thousands of items get great rates on postage.

So in hindsite would have been way cheaper to buy on Ebay than from Superexpensive autos, but at the time was  was needed there and then as i had to park a very desirable $4000 tradie trailer out the front of my property (which did not belong to me) facing the road and would have been easy to back up a vehicle and tow it away with out us knowing, so at the time spending $44.00 was better than losing a 4 grand trailer,

Any how will just put it up on Bumtree for half price with pickup, if it dont sell makes a great paperweight LOL

There's your selling point mate...... and surprisingly...... it's the same reason you paid through the nose for your lock it was needed there and then, Some people, like you, or for whatever reason, have not got the time to wait for the lock to turn up from Australia's well known adopted chinese state "Incowectrocation."
Advertise it for better than half price ($33.00 or best offer) on the local BSS sites on FB I'm sure if you have the
patience somebody will come along who ....wait for it..... is local and "needs it there and then".
For mine facebook local buy swap and sell sites turns those types of things over quickly and profitably

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I purchased a 12volt camping light from Supercheap.  I'd had it a couple of weeks, & was reading one night when it burst into flames. luckily, I was in the annex not the camper trailer at the time and I was able to un-clip it from the battery, take it down, and douse it. Took it back to S/C who wouldn't refund me, only offered me a replacement., which I wasn't interested in, would you be? They are still selling these same lights the last time I looked...Chinese **bleep**.  

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I hope you reported it to the authorities.   There are too many of these cheap Chinese items causing fires and even death in some cases.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply