How do they do it ?

Bought a trailer lock a while back, the type that fit into the tow ball socket and locked with a key so trailer can not be towed away, paid $44.00 for it at Supercheap, anyhow only been on the trailer a month and now sold, so as no longer needed, thought right will sell it on Ebay, say around half price, not sure what to charge for postage as is fairly bulky and weighs close to half a kilo, anyhow look on Ebay and be buggered.

Sellers are selling it  for around $19.00 with free postage, way i figure it it would cost minimum $10.00 plus dollars to post and what get the item for $ ??? and your Ebay, Paypal fees ect and still make a profit, and no they are not Chinese, nor are they Chinese sellers pretending to be in Australia, in other words paying full postage not subsidised postage, well there goes any chance of selling it on Ebay, unles i sell it what maybe $8.00 free postage (not worth the effort). eg item 182010512497

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

How do they do it ?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

One thing I do know is that Supercheap does not live up to it's name.

They do stock some cheap items but they are usually the sort of junk you get from China for even lower prices.

We got taken for suckers many years ago until we learned our lesson.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

If it is under 500gms you can post in the 500gm satchel from Aust Post for $8.50

Buyer pays that so no cost to you for postage and if you add that to the price and add free postage you can join the others

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

Yes but can not sell as new, no packaging and slight marks from the trailer hitch, also i would reckon is over 500g, maybe sell it on Bumtree as none for sale there (no competion) and pickup only.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

Thats true Lyndal, but still a reasonable quality cast alloy part with hardened chrome steel locking bar, so surely can not be had for a couple of bucks. But then again was contracting to major Australian caravan and trailer accessory  supplier to QC all the parts as they came in shipping container loads all made in China to the warehouse, and was amazed at how little cost per unit they got them made in China and would be sold at ten times the price here, probably to cover my wages to spend hours disasembling badly functioning components and reassemble them correctly to make them a sellable item. LOL

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

@lyndal1838 wrote:

One thing I do know is that Supercheap does not live up to it's name.

They do stock some cheap items but they are usually the sort of junk you get from China for even lower prices.

We got taken for suckers many years ago until we learned our lesson.

i agree, supercheap are using the 'super and cheap' as a subliminal trick.

if we say we are super cheap the public will just blindly believe.

very common trick, anyone who sees a mcdonalds advert then buys a 'big' mac? lol, whats big about a bigmac?

i often buy auto bits from repco but only when they are in the sales catalog with like 30% reduced, definately never buy motor oil at the normal price.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

Yeap good deals on motor oil when Aldi have it for sale.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

If it would fit into a BX1 box (no idea, never seen a trailer lock Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL ), postage on that would be just shy of $10 for the average seller ($7~ something for postage, $1.80 ? odd for the box, then whatever the cost of printing the label is). Those can weigh up to 1kg, and the pricing is exlcusive to eBay (they're about $5 more via Aus Post's C&S system). 

Some sellers would either get different (lower) rates on contract with AP, and/or get volume discounts with couriers (a couple of the courier companies have flat rate 1kg satchels, I think, and if they're a larger seller, chances are they have other items with higher profit margins to make up for any lower margins or loss leader items). 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

Ok Digi, may have one or two of those boxes kicking around saves a $1.80, dont have any ink in the printer, cheaper to get office works to pint the label for bugger all, but as is used would still have to sell for one third of my new price to get listing noticed against all the big time sellers, who i do not think are selling as loss leaders, i gather they buy in bulk, and as you said as they sell thousands of items get great rates on postage.

So in hindsite would have been way cheaper to buy on Ebay than from Superexpensive autos, but at the time was  was needed there and then as i had to park a very desirable $4000 tradie trailer out the front of my property (which did not belong to me) facing the road and would have been easy to back up a vehicle and tow it away with out us knowing, so at the time spending $44.00 was better than losing a 4 grand trailer,

Any how will just put it up on Bumtree for half price with pickup, if it dont sell makes a great paperweight LOL

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

How do they do it ?

I have never looked at Gumtree but if there are categories to advertise in try aiming the ad at horse people....they are suckers for bargains and a good horse float can be worth $10,000.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply