How do you report a seller who is selling pirate copies of DVDs

A certain seller is selling pirate copies of DVDs on eBay and has negative feedbacks to prove this. How can this be reported if at all?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: How do you report a seller who is selling pirate copies of DVDs

I experience pretty heavy doses of nostalgia from time to time, luckily it's always for the content rather than the delivery format of said content, so I'm happy to stream it, or buy newer formats if available and believe I need more than one "dose" of it Smiley LOL

I still have nostalgia for physical formats in and of themselves, as they provided a sensory experience most of the time, but I never quite understood the nostalgia for things like cracking of a vinyl record, or tape hiss, and those are the things that tend to be the driving factor behind a resurgance in popularity of old formats, and then they get a secondary boost because younger people who didn't experience them at the time get to experience a novelty and / or ride the "obscure" train for a bit (or at least, this was the case when it became trendy to release new music on older and more obscure formats in the 2000's). 

Printed books are probably the only format that can elicit any sense of nostalgia for the format itself, as I don't get to sit down and read one too often these days. Plus, I can't read ebooks (hurts my eyes and I occasionally experience motion sickness), and while I love audiobooks, and know it's the same story, it's not quite the same experience, 

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Depends what you're reading.

As a physical book seller I automatically have an aversion to other forms, but I must say I prefer to build a picture in my mind of the characters in fiction, rather than have somebody else's interpretation overlaying it.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Yes titles that were readily available on VHS for many years and have been played a million time are not going to fetch much money.  But, I was commenting on the sweeping statement that VHS Tapes are worthless, which is clearly not the cases for all Tapes.  In fact now the studios are repackaging some old movies on DVD in Limited Edition VHS Cases, such as, Jurassic Pack Trilogy, Back to the Future Trilogy and The Karate Kid Trilogy as they clearly see value in the Format / Nostalgia.

PS An unopened mint Black Diamond Edition of  Beauty and the Beast on VHS is estimated to be worth $US60000.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

As a physical book seller I automatically have an aversion to other forms, but I must say I prefer to build a picture in my mind of the characters in fiction, rather than have somebody else's interpretation overlaying it.

If it's possible to have nostalgia for an experience you never really had, that's the way I feel about audiobooks - or some of them, anyway. Storytellers, bards etc were around well before books were a thing, and they were often theatrical, so I find the experience of being "told" a story in the same way kinda... quaint (for lack of a better word, I mean it suits, but doesn't quite match). Just like most performance arts, the skill and suitability of the narrator can make or break the story, which sucks when there tends to only be one version, some of them can elevate a story well beyond what my own brain would do, others can't really hold my attention for long at all, or as I was listening to them, I knew I would have enjoyed the story a lot more if I had read the book (Gentleman Bas*ards trilogy was a perfect example of this, really enjoyed the stories, the narrator obviously very skilled as the character work was great, but didn't quite do it for me in the non-speech parts so my own "voice" would have done a better job for those bits Smiley LOL ). 

When it comes to non-fiction, it doesn't matter so much as then it's really just like listening to a podcast.

@gec, I probably didn't make my point very well (or at all, lol) because I got distracted by looking at what's actually trending consistently and theorising as to why, but what I intended to say is that you can actually say that about anything. Tons of comic book collections, record collections, video game collections and so on, would be worth extremely small amounts. A few here and there would be worth thousands, all because of a few titles that more people than there are copies available of, want to get their hands on.

What really matters is on average / in general, to your average eBay seller who is buying / selling "vintage" media. I doubt there's much money in going to garage sales specifically trying to turn up a hot VHS title, it may be marginally more worthwhile for video games and DVDs, if you can get the right ones, or lots of ok ones at a low enough price - i.e. I suspect there would be a bigger market for a Mulan DVD at $5 than a Mulan VHS for $20. 

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Well, back to square one regarding movies!!
Message 15 of 15
Latest reply