How far to go to keep buyers happy and avoid negative fb (am I a wimp?)

In the past I've always given refunds, regardless of reason.

I also insist on the item being returned, even though it costs me money, as I don't want a buyer to get a refund and keep the item.

But where should I draw the line?

I currently have a buyer who bought two of one of my health-releated items, opened one of them, and now wants full refund.

The opened item won't be saleable.

Postage requires a satchel or small box, so ~$7.50 each way.

The buyer claims that the item isn't the same as the one they already have (and disparages the quality). That's clear from the photos, and from the listing which states that the model is a US/UK variant and not commonly sold in Oz.

I offered a full refund on the first item and half on the second, and she would have to pay rtn post.

That must not have been good enough as she has now opened a refund request (something is wrong with the item).

I'm going to end up out of pocket regardless. And might also get a neg. In the past I would have accepted the return and given a full refund on both items. But I'm tired of being a walkover.

wwyd?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: How far to go to keep buyers happy and avoid negative fb (am I a wimp?)

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Couldn't agree more, I would rather have a dozen silly red dots on my computer screen than be out any money to a chancer who is dishonest enough to claim not as described just to save the cost of return postage,

You've done well to avoid negatives PJ!

I also offer returns for change of mind, as long as the item is in original condition. Unfortunately, the item under discussion has "free postage", so I wouldn't get back my original postage.

On the current case, I assume Ebay will find in favour of the buyer regardless, so I'll be out of pocket for a full refund + rtn post. And if don't offer to refund in full, I will get the neg as well as being out of pocket.

It sounds as though you and DJ have had success with convincing Ebay that some refund requests submitted as IND (in my case, Something is wrong with the item) were really change of mind/didn't read the description claims--is that right?

It seemed to haver worked for me.  The buyer now acknowledges that she ordered the wrong soundtrack and agreed to return the item at her cost.  Prior to this she was saying the listing was inaccurate and a "lie".  This will help me if she hits me with a neg but I think this is unlikely.

I also agree with others that a neg is not the end of the world - having said that I will still try my hardest to avoid a neg but no longer lose sleep if I end up with one.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@beakychew wrote:

I could be wrong, but I thought it made a difference to rankings under Best Match, at least for a week or so.

When I buy, I read all neautral and negative feedback and decide based on the content, and how the seller responds to it. So for me as a buyer, it might not make a difference. i guess I assumed it would for other buyers though.

You're right that, if I stop worrying about avoiding a negative, then all of the other decisions are much easier. Thanks!

My personal view on that is lots of things are meant to affect best match rankings, and if any one thing truly does have an effect, it's usually so subtle (because there's so much that's supposed to affect it) as to rarely make a difference. This view is based on my own experience (I have received a few negs since BM was introduced), so others may have experienced things differently, but after a neg I've had sales increase significantly, and after others, sales decreased moderately for a small amount of time - my conclusion is that it was the normal ebb and flow of eBay at play, and the timing was mere coincidence.

The other reason I won't do any more for a buyer just to avoid a neg is, how would that be fair to all of the other customers? That is, I won't go above and beyond for a jerk making threats. If I am to provide exceptional service, I would much rather provide it to the buyers who deserve it, which is basically all of the ones who aren't being a jerk. 🙂 (Note: having a purchase issue doesn't = being a jerk, I would - and have - done much more than I would ever be obliged to for some buyers who had a purchase issue, if their communication is polite and respectful. Buyers who are rude and aggressive, won't pay attention to what I'm saying etc etc, will get the bare minimum service, as in I won't deny what is an appropriate resolution, but they'll never be offered refunds without return, or some of the premium service options I provide to other customers). 

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

If a buyers only choices are suck it up or claim total foul, regardkless of whose fault it is, they will often just pile it on with claiming foul. So the more grey options there are the more chance they will settle for something less, and save face.

Once you have drawn 'battle lines" you are likely to get poor FB regardless of outcome.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I know you'd love a protocol to follow for all cases to make life easier, but I think this is one time when you need to look at complaints individually.

I don't think having a neg is necessarily going to stop other people buying. I'm like you & read the negs and neutrals as a guide but half the time it is obvious the buyer is unreasonable so it doesn't influence me. Whether a neg affects your ad ranking-no idea. I suppose too many of them wouldn't be good if you're not a large seller but a couple here and there won't hurt.

I don't think you need to necessarily offer full refunds etc without question. I don't know of any other sales site that does that. Where possible, I have had to provide photos or a written description of a problem and that is entirely reasonable.

I think you need to do the same. Then if it seems they have a case which you're pretty sure they would win on ebay or paypal, you can arrange return and full refund.

If you think there is nothing much wrong, you could do what someone else suggested-offer a couple of choices such as partial refund and they keep it or they return for change of mind but pay their own return postage. It goes against the grain I know to give partial refunds for nothing much but I think sometimes those people will be happy to keep the item & get the discount and in the long run, it may be cheaper for you that way than giving a full refund.

If they seem to be an out and out scammer with no proof, you could stand your ground.

But ultimately do what is going to be most cost effective for you.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

I ended up offering a partial refund OR full refund if the buyer shipped them back at her cost. She took the partial refund.

I ended up with neutral feedback (my first on that account), and have responded to it.

All in all I'm happy with how I handled it and I felt much more relaxed after reading each of the posts here.

I've now integrated the great ideas mentioned into my approach to returns and the whole thing is bothering me much less.

So thank you all Robot Happy