How is buyer able to.....

I sent an item with tracking on 27th August, which was delivered about 10 days later in September. Buyer has now opened dispute that item has not arrived How are they even able to open a case if the tracking number was alreay in the system? Surely it should close out automatically?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Just realised that they had opened a dispute with their bank.

Anyway, the trscking info is there, so hopefully it will close in my favour.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Not necessarily.  I had a buyer who opened a chargeback. Queried with the buyer, she claimed she didn't open the chargeback, confirmed she received the item and was happy with it. Because 3 months had passed and tracking was no longer available, had to contact Aust Post who confirmed delivery.  PayPal refunded my money with seller protection however the bank still proceeded with the chargeback despite all evidence, emails etc showing buyer recieved the item.

just make sure you add all information proving delivery.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks @designers,

I think the main stumbling block is the expiration of the tracking number. Whilst I can see the tracking in the order details showing delivery, when I put the number directly into the Aus Post website, it does not display anything due to it being 3+ months old.

If the reviewing bank put that number into Aus Post, they also won't see anything either ๐Ÿ˜ž

Hopefully the rebuttal that Ebay is preparing (according to the case status), will show the actual item as delivered.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Is it an unauthorised use case?

It may not be related at all, but I think there is a problem with eBay not showing any details of a purchase for sellers on managed payments, it just shows "payment to eBay" (or similar, AFAIK), and because not all sellers are on MP and it's still relatively new for sellers who have switched, it won't do that for all purchases and many buyers don't know why it will for some, which is going to make it harder for someone to see that on a statment months later and go "oh yeah, I bought X on eBay back in October" or whatever.

Of course, if they just hopped on to the site and checked their purchase history, they could match it up, but they need to know why it says "payment to eBay" and not "jellybirddesigns" like it does with other eBay purchases for that to occur to them. 

Aus Post can provide the package status for a lot longer than what shows online, so if you're asked to provide more info, that may be worth obtaining. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@Digi - the case just said that the item was not received.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry, I can it says that in your Op as well Smiley Embarassed

I'd definitely get in touch with Aus Post, or grab a screenshot of the order details in My Post if a label was purchased through there, so you can establish the delivery address for the package if eBay ask for it. (If purchased through eBay then they'd already have that, of course).

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Just an update - I contacted the buyer to try and find out what had happened and why she had opened a dispute with her bank.

Turns out that she could not see the purchase as it was more than 90 days ago.

She must have been checking her bank records and since she could find no purchase to match it to in Ebay, she initiated the chargeback with the bank.

Ebay really should make purchases visible for more than 3 months.

I did tell her that she can always match in Paypal for at least 2 years if she cannot find the transaction in Ebay.

Anyway, I have asked her to close the case, but I'm not sure if there is anything in her Resolution Centre and she is unsure how to do so anyway. If she cannot find the case, I have asked her to contact her bank and cancel the chargeback directly.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply