How many days does a buyer have to send back an item for refund?

pat3128
Community Member

I’ve been pushed into a position where I’ve had to give a refund and pay for return postage, even though the item was as described.

I’ve since provided a postage label.  I’ve been tracking the parcel on Aust post website but note that the parcel hasn’t  been sent. How many days does the buyer have to send back the item? If the parcel isn’t sent, can I call eBay to cancel the refund?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Please don't tell me you have already given the refund?

Never, ever refund until you have an item back in your hands.

If you've refunded, the buyer has zero incentive to actually send the item back to you as you've just given it to them for free.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

You don't refund until tracking shows you've got the item back. If you've already refunded them I doubt they'll bother to send it back.
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

pat3128
Community Member

I haven’t given a refund yet. Just issued a postage label. Just wondering how long I need to wait to receive item

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

That depends on when the buyer returns the item.

But if they haven't posted uploading tracking within the time frame within eBay, 7-10 days (can't remember) then eBay can close the case in your favour.

image host
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@pat3128 wrote:

I haven’t given a refund yet. Just issued a postage label. Just wondering how long I need to wait to receive item

There should be a date specified in the ebay return.   I have a change of mind in progress at the moment, they were given 10 days to return the item,  5 days in and item has not shipped.

The last change of mind I had, they failed to return item by the date specified by ebay.  I did not bother contacting ebay after the time had lapsed, but eventually (about 2 weeks later) they closed the return in my favour as they had no evidence the item had been returned.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry to revive an old thread but can someone clarify the timeframe set by eBay for the return. Is the date specifed for the item to be in my hands or for it to have been shipped. If the latter then that sucks as it's a 2 week window which they could send at the end of meaning I won't have the product back for more than 3 weeks from the start of the return process. Buyers are asked to send within a 2 day window.

Thanks for any help!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@camotron wrote:

Sorry to revive an old thread but can someone clarify the timeframe set by eBay for the return. Is the date specifed for the item to be in my hands or for it to have been shipped. If the latter then that sucks as it's a 2 week window which they could send at the end of meaning I won't have the product back for more than 3 weeks from the start of the return process. Buyers are asked to send within a 2 day window.

Thanks for any help!

Unless the temporary rules they put in place due to covid have been rolled back, buyers currently have 21 days to return an item - that's just to get it posted.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply