How to close dispute of wrong item shipped

Hi folks,

I was wondering if I could get help.

I sell dog collars that we make ourselves and eBay is one of the platforms we use to sell our Narrazee K9 dog collars. A buyer has just opened a dispute for a refund due to the wrong item being sent to them and sent photos with a ruler to show us the size is incorrect.

However, based on what they've sent, and we are also certain, we've sent out the correct item. We did however let the buyer know that we're more than happy to send them a larger size without having to return the item free of charge, including postage. (Even though we'd be operating at a fair a bit of loss, just to thank them for their trouble of contacting us and providing photos)

Anyways, to cut things short. Technically the issue is solved, the buyer said they didn't measure the dog's neck, we sent them the correct size and just assumed that the size they ordered was going to fit the dog.

As the dispute is opened up on eBay requesting for a refund, how do I close the issue? The only options I've found were as follows:

- Refund

- Contact buyer

- Report buyer

I don't need to report the buyer, I just want to make it as a solved issue on eBay.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think you have to get the buyer to close the dispute from there end.

Technically they are in the wrong for not measuring for the size they needed they should have sent the item back at their expense before getting a replacement or refund.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I think you have to get the buyer to close the dispute from there end.

Technically they are in the wrong for not measuring for the size they needed they should have sent the item back at their expense before getting a replacement or refund.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

So the buyer has opened the wrong kind of dispute,should have opened INAD instead so then OP could easily just send the correct item as they're willing to do for free might I add.

So just send the other one and once the buyer receives it ask them to close the dispute.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

the buyer shouldn't have opened a dispute at all. it was their stuff up.
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Is that customer is always right thingy still floating around lol

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

they like to think they are.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

i think the op should of asked for the dog to be sent  to the op so she could measure the dogs neck in person lol.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

gotta love ebays sytem for resolving such things. In that I mean ebay are hopelessly flawed in how a seller can resolve an issue...At least in Australia anyway.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you all for the feedback folks!

I do understand it's technically the customer's fault, but it's just our gesture of goodwill, especially being such a new account, even though my personal account has been open for the longest time.

I'll make sure that they actually close the dispute on their end first perhaps before sending out the new collar to them.

I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't count towards the defective rating on eBay as I'd to achiece that whole top seller with this account as well. Or that eBay decides to refund because they don't receive their new collar by October 8th. Then I'll be double whammy out of pocket.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

If you have sent a refund via ebay the dispute should have closed.  If you have just sent a replacement the system can't really cope with that, and the buyer needs to close it.  However if they don't and you don't do anything it will eventually be closed by eBay, however it does take quite awhile 2 - 3 weeks.

There should also be send a message option.  I would also send a message stating that you have sent a replacement collar and could you close the dispute.  This will put it on the "record" if the buyer escalates the dispute.  Unfortunately under eBays wacky system even though you have done the right thing you are going to get hit with a defect.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply