How to deal with agressive potential buyers :/

Ok seeking opinions from the community on a recient message I recieved from a potential buyer.

I have a gold ring listed and the title Clearly states the Carat of the gold ,size ,stamps and weight.

I think the buyer must have just read the description and sent me this

" Could you at least give the gold content ,size and weight of the item ,how am I supposed to entertain an offer without thess basic details"

I replied " The details you are requesting are in the item title hun ๐Ÿ™‚ "

*In hindsight I could have cut and paste them but i was dealing with a 3 year old screaming for his breakfast ๐Ÿ˜• *

She then replied

"No "hun" they aren't in the description. I've looked again and the sizing is NOT in the description. The fact that it's gold is, but otherwise there no carat size, no size of the stone or setting, NOTHING!. I would like to know that before I would entertain buying it, if it's not too much trouble for you?."

EEEEK

I dont do well with agression so I replied asking her to not make an offer on the item as I didnt wish t deal with her ...in all my years in retail a cutomer this rude/agressive is likely to be trouble down the track.

do you think I made a rash decision?

I just want to sell my items not be abused on a Sat morning ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: How to deal with agressive potential buyers :/

Some of the items you are selling are not cheap trinkets.

Which listing did the buyer enquire about ?

If it was for a substantial amount, I would imagine from their message they were just frustrated with the lack of corresponding detail in your description.

If it was not for substantial amount, then I imagine the buyer was seeking reassurances that the item was indeed gold, rather than just gold in color.  

Your response on the other hand seems very poor customer service and contributes to eBay sellers having a poor reputation. Do you really think buyers give a flying hoot about your 3 year old. 

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I appreciate what you are saying and I'm not in any way comparing myself to sellers who do this for a living ...I'm a mama selling off her collection and then I will be back to just being a buyer ๐Ÿ™‚

Thankyou again for your responses since Ebay doesn't have a way to delete these threads I will just leave it here.
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

If it was for a substantial amount, I would imagine from their message they were just frustrated with the lack of corresponding detail in your description.

If it was not for substantial amount, then I imagine the buyer was seeking reassurances that the item was indeed gold, rather than just gold in color.  

Your response on the other hand seems very poor customer service and contributes to eBay sellers having a poor reputation. Do you really think buyers give a flying hoot about your 3 year old. 

I think you may have missed this sentence in the OP

I have a gold ring listed and the title Clearly states the Carat of the gold ,size ,stamps and weight.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

I just answer a buyers question. It usually is the easiest thing to do.

By the time you give them a mini lecture on where the info is in the listing it is usally quicker to give the the info they want.

I also would have had my hackles up if I was called "hun".

Just because it is in severe overuse on Facebook does not make it a nice way to address anyone on ebay or Facebook.

Hun to me only means one thing and that is Attlia the Hun and I am not a barbarian.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

I think you may have missed this sentence in the OP

Didn't miss anything. 

Did not miss anything. 

Before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on one of the OPs ring offerings, I imagine the buyer wanted a little more detail about the ring or confirmation of the specifications in sentences.  Who knows, if it was me I would 100% want quite a bit more detail on the condition of the ring / stones etc 

Most of the OPs listings are lacking in written details about the actual items for sale.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I also would have had my hackles up if I was called "hun".

Me too Bump, I wouldn't appreciate it if even my close friends called me hun, if some bloke wants to call me honey then they can go for it,nhasn't happened for a while but a girl (old lady) can dream LOL.

I usually reply to even the most ridiculous questions in a businesslike, professional way no matter what I would like to write.  With a buyer who called me hun I would probably put them on my spechul list without giving any reply.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

PJ the OP referred to their prospective buyer as Hun which is why I commented on the use of the word.

I don't think you can pick on a buyer's manner of writing when you use the word Hun. Pot calling kettle black.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

anyone who makes you uneasy just block them.

maybe you lose a sale but maybe you avoid a loon too.

I,ve got one at the moment who has put several offers on a no offers BIN. On top of that he has sent a number of messages, some reasonable, some just silly such as "where did you get it from"  ???? Its an expensive item and I could do with the sale, but hes gone to the BBL. Sometimes its just not worth it.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply