How to get satchel to post item in

heko-6371
Community Member

I'm new to selling on eBay and want to sell my first item. Let's say if I were to list an item for the seller to pay $8.95 for postage, is that just for the label or for the satchel as well? How do I acquire the satchel to ship the item in? Does it get sent to me or do I pick it up from an auspost store when I post it? Thanks in advance and please be as specific as possible as I am really confused.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: How to get satchel to post item in

That last link works

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

@heko-6371 wrote:

I'm new to selling on eBay and want to sell my first item. Let's say if I were to list an item for the seller to pay $8.95 for postage, is that just for the label or for the satchel as well? How do I acquire the satchel to ship the item in? Does it get sent to me or do I pick it up from an auspost store when I post it? Thanks in advance and please be as specific as possible as I am really confused.

I use eBay branded satchels, purchased from the Australia Post eBay store, and just had 100 small sized ones arrive at a cost of $15, so 15c each.  The price is higher if you buy in smaller quantities, and being new to selling you probably don't wanna stock up in bulk quite yet.  

But I like this style of satchel as it has a clear pocket built in for displaying the postage label, which I generate through eBay and print out on a regular inkjet printer and then just slip into the pocket.

The postage cost actually varies slightly depending on the destination area (local/metro/regional) and you can see a breakdown of the prices charged through eBay here.

For you though, it'ls probably easiest to just buy a satchel from the post office when you go in to post your item. If you think you might want to sell a few items, maybe you'll buy a spare or two to take home with you, so you can pack items there and spend a minimum amount of time at the post office.

When you send an item sold through eBay, it's important you post it only to the address that eBay/PayPal give you in the sale notification. Sometimes a buyer has an old address in eBay and forgets to change it when they place an order and will message after paying to say "hey, can you send to this other address please."  Sending to an address other than the one provided to you by eBay/PayPal means you lost some seller protection, which a malicious buyer can take advantage of. If you ever receive such a request, come back onto here for advice!

Also, when you're posting your satchel, lodge it at the counter inside the post office (with a staff member) rather than dropping it into a post box outside.  You want to do this so you are given a lodgement receipt, which again might be needed later if an issue crops up with the delivery.  It's your proof to eBay that you've sent it to the suburb you're supposed to.  Finally, take a photo of the addressed parcel before you lodge it, showing the tracking number and address on the label.

If your sold item is worth more than $100, consider whether you need to purchase additional insurance in case the parcel is lost. It's $2.50 for each additional $100 of cover beyond the first $100 worth, which is included in the postal charge/prepaid satchel cost.

Because both eBay and PayPal charge feed on the total cost of the item + postage, you need to account for this when working out your sell price. Say you want to get $100 for your item, and will allow a nice neat $10 for the satchel cost and postage (if you're using a small satchel), you'll want to receive $110 from the buyer.  But PayPal charge 2.6% + 30 cents, eBay 10.9% (depending on the category this can be different) so for you to get $110 your buyer needs to pay $125.15 before eBay and PayPal take their cut.

To give yourself some wriggle room, you might just add an easy 15% onto whatever total + postage you need to receive, which would be $126.50

Hopefully that's enough to get you started!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

If you think you might want to sell a few items, maybe you'll buy a spare or two to take home with you

No longer possible. Boxes yes, but you can't buy individual pre-post satchels any more.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

If you think you might want to sell a few items, maybe you'll buy a spare or two to take home with you

No longer possible. Boxes yes, but you can't buy individual pre-post satchels any more.

I thought tazzie meant AP prepaid satchels

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I hope not. Prepaid satchels from AP are the most expensive option available unless you buy at least 100.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I hope not. Prepaid satchels from AP are the most expensive option available unless you buy at least 100.

I did indeed mean a pre-paid AP satchel, and while they are technically more expensive than other options, for someone just testing the eBay waters it's probably not all that big of a concern...especially if they follow my advice to mark up a little extra to help cover it.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I don't find them very expensive, particularly given they can all be used up to 5 kg. For low volume sellers, it's a whole lot easier.

Can you do a few comparisons for me though because I always thought the difference wasn't that much. For example, if I want to post 3 kg of diecast cars, which can fit into a sml AP satchel @ $9.20 anywhere in Australia, what would the cost be to send in an Ebay satchel?

I'm asking because my knowledge is lacking re Ebay postage

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Actually 3 kg of diecast cars probably wouldn't fit into s sml satchel but regardless, any item with a higher weight that fits

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Horses for courses, I suppose.

I charge $8.95 for small satchel postage. Given eBay hit me with 84c in FVF on that, I'm certainly not interested in paying more than I have to. Certainly not $9.20, when I can get it significantly cheaper using MyPost, or buying from eBay sellers when the price is right.

As far as your question goes - $8.95 + satchel cost to rural; $8.65 + satchel cost to city/major metro.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

So that's only about 10c cheaper for rural, 40c cheaper for city. I guess for high volume, every cent counts. I just think for new sellers or low volume sellers, it's easier. But yes horses for courses.

Is there a weight limit on the Ebay satchels?

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply