How to handle order not delivered - Stamped AusPost

Over summer months I ship out up 30 parcels per week (on average). These are sent in the 160x230 padded bags with a couple of stamps on there, $2.20 postage paid by the buyer. Order amounts start at $22 and can go up to $100 or more.

Sometimes the parcels don't arrive. 

My options are to reship or refund. 

How is this fair on me? Either way I am severely out of pocket.

What would you do?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I use a tracked envelope for anything over a certain amount or you can't easily replace. Otherwise work out the cost of the extra postage versus the cost of lost items over a month. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I use a tracked envelope for anything over a certain amount or you can't easily replace. Otherwise work out the cost of the extra postage versus the cost of lost items over a month. 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I believe the benefits of tracking outweigh anything else, especially on anything over $20. And why would you send something worth $100+  with no tracking??

Sadly, there are buyers out there who will look for opportunities to request refunds, even though they have received the item in question.

You're already probably running at a loss because the $2.20 in stamps is not taking the cost of the bag into account, nor fees on the postage.

Perhaps raise your shipping to $10.00 at a minimum. People will still buy your items, but this time both you and buyer will have peace of mind about delivery. I have plenty buyers who buyer a $15 item from me, but still pay for a tracked parcel.

Alternatively, if the item is flat enough, you could use the green A4 domestic tracked letters as they are a stiff cardboard and cost about $5.95 (from memory).

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

In addition to the untracked postage option.  Also include in the listing an option for tracked postage,  it is then up to the buyer to decide how they want the item shipped.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Do you think I can write in the listing that untracked orders won't be refunded if they are not delivered?

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I suppose you could but it will not mean anything as eBay will force you to refund if you send without tracking and the buyer opens a case and  says the item did not arrive

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

tracking saves the seller, not the buyer....can you not 'bulk up' and use satchels?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

No.

tsmc_designs, you really need to read up on eBay’s policies. If a buyer opens a request for a refund based on INR (item not received), and you cannot prove delivery (based on tracking / delivery status), you will be obliged to refund fully. If you fail to resolve the buyer request, eBay will step in when the buyer asks them to, and you’ll not only be forced to refund, but you’ll earn a slap from eBay.

Enough of those, and you’ll find yourself facing a range of sanctions, up to having your account permanently suspended.

You have some options. Work out what amount refunding “lost” (both genuine and non-genuine) parcels will cost you for a year. Based on that, you can increase your untracked postage cost by perhaps a few cents overall, and put that extra amount into your own “self insurance” from which you provide refunds.

Or… send tracked and do not offer buyers the option of choosing tracked or untracked. Raise p&p appropriately.

Or… a mixture of both…

Just build into your business model the inevitability of non-recoverable losses.

I also strongly strongly strongly suggest that you make yourself familiar with all of eBay’s seller policies, and how the MBG works, etc.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

great item by the way.......wouldn't most people have roller blinds throughout? Consider selling in lots of 6/7/8 windows worth?? Then use satchels

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, you do need to send items tracked, as now eBay has changed the parameters around % of items you've sent tracked if this % falls below 95% your funds are put on hold. Also there are people buying on ebay who seek out sellers who use untracked post just to get items for free as there is no recourse if an untracked item is not shown as delivered.

I have been selling for a looooonnng time and I find if I subsidize the parcel cost or the registered post cost it works well and I just factor in the cost to the item/ business expense. I also offer free post when buyers buy 3+ items, this helps with volume orders/ turnover. Also if you set up an Australia post Mypost you will get discounted parcel post if you are posting lots of parcels which brings the parcel cost down depending on how many you send. Level 4 Australia post which I think is around 100 parcels a month gives you $1.80 =/- off a $9.30 standard parcel. Good luck 🙂

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply