How to organise a pick up for buyer without getting a warning from ebay?

The last time I tried this ebay told me not to try organising a sale outside ebay.

How can I let the buyer know where to pick up?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: How to organise a pick up for buyer without getting a warning from ebay?

@lm-entertainment wrote:

just out of curiousity (because i've never offered local pickup) and i know lots of people on here do - if the buyer arrives then and doesn't want the item, do they get an unpaid item strike? seeing as they've "committed to buy.." 

This is actually up to the seller. There isn't any difference in the choices available for unpaid posted items, and unpaid pick-up items - the scenario where a buyer inspects and rejects the item doesn't affect the options available to the seller, just like the scenario where the buyer purchases a pick-up item and then is never heard from again, doesn't affect the options. Sellers can cancel, or go the UPI route. 

Buyers can appeal strikes, of course, but they well get one from an unpaid case, regardless of how / why they came to not pay, if the seller opts to open one.  

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

I don't have immediate payment on any of my listings. I had a buyer contact me on Thursday night about getting items sent express. I said it would be no problem and it is set up as an option on all my listings. She ended up only buying one item today and I think she was sent straight to immediate payment, where the option of paying for express wasn't there. She doesn't need the item until Thursday (for a gift), so I'm hoping posting Monday will see it there Wed or Thurs at the latest (regional area to capital city in same state).

What is the point in having multiple postage options if a buyer is sent straight to checkout and not have the option of upgrading if they want to? 

Has anyone worked out how to stop this immediate payment? I might have to put everything back to auction if there is no way of turning it off. Some buyers don't want to pay straight away if they are planning on buying over a few days.

The problem with immediate payment on a pick up item that has postage, even refunding the postage the buyer can claim item not received. As you can't prove postage, they will win.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I don't have 'immediate payment' as an option either, but find that the trouble I get with buyers making IP is when they use the #$%^ CART....then I refund overpayment of postage & ring eBay to adjust my fees....so time consuming

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Has anyone worked out how to stop this immediate payment? I might have to put everything back to auction if there is no way of turning it off. Some buyers don't want to pay straight away if they are planning on buying over a few days.

Having an alternative payment supposedly helps, though does not guarantee that immediate payment won't be enforced. I still offer bank deposit and it seems as though numerous buyers are still able to BIN without paying, but I have no way of knowing if others are coming across immediate payment.

I assume some are, since I had one buyer ask about express post after purchase, I was able to charge them separately for the extra but they did say that express wasn't an option at checkout (it should have been); she knew where to look and how to change it already, so I can only presume it was entirely absent. 

One of my regulars told me that they could add items to the cart, but that the postage was calculating for each item (eg they will always buy several items, and my flat rate has always applied, but in this case they were being shown that 10 items = 10 x lots of full postage). They were using a mobile app, and eventually found a request total button that purchased the items but didn't force them to check out. 

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

To avoid buyers being pushed into prepayting for pick up items you have to go into your payment options on your listing where you offer pick up and choose cash on pick up as an option. Rather than just in postage options.This way they can complete checkout by selecting this option, rather than payal etc, then you can exchange info and they come and pay on pick up.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

After you've refunded the payment, go to the sales page and change the postage to pick up and then resend the invoice. Don't hit the recalculate button.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply