How to protect myself against false claims

Hi Ebayers,

I have just had a $250 buy-it-now listing sold to a new member with 0 feedback from Poland.
I have never sent items there before and I am concerned about them having no feedback.

Any tips on what I can do to protect myself from fraudulent false claims of items not received?
Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

I wouldn't be sending it to Poland and if you don't want to send to overseas then you need to state that in your listings.

Smells like poo to me so I'd cancel it and choose the 'something is wrong with the buyers address' option.

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

As Crow said.
Then I would be putting in blocks to countries I don't post to.
I only sell in Australia... saves many heartaches and sleepless nights!
Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

I checked the address and it is a Hostel so definitely super suss.
I will be cancelling the sale and not opening listings up internationally in the future.
Thanks for the advice!
Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

I only list overseas when I know it will reach a price or market not available in Australia. 

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

What reason will you use to cancel the sale?

Your current listing also ships to Poland & just about every other country.

". Please do NOT bid if you are a new 0 feedback buyer "

Good to see another seller who does not encourage new buyers to the site...ridiculous!...how do you plan to stop new buyers from bidding?

I could use another posting ID of mine with zero feedback & snipe your item.

Cancelling the sale will only result in a defect & & a neg.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

Read post #2 that's how 

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

If the address is a hostel, the OP can legitimately, in my view, cancel for 'problem with buyer's address'.

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

I'm just gonna throw it out there just for fun.

Too many posters need to go to speck savers hahahahahahahaha

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

@repentatleisure1952 wrote:

Good to see another seller who does not encourage new buyers to the site...ridiculous!...how do you plan to stop new buyers from bidding?

I could use another posting ID of mine with zero feedback & snipe your item.

Cancelling the sale will only result in a defect & & a neg.

Then you could be reported for listing interference, and the neg would be removed.

I know this comes as a shock to a lot of people, but sellers are actually allowed to set terms that buyers (potential or otherwise) are expected to meet, as long as they are compliant with consumer laws, and ebay policies. Perhaps even more surprising, it's against eBay policy to deliberately purchase an item when it's clear a buyer doesn't meet the seller's terms, and buyers who do so and are subsequently reported, will wind up with a policy violation. Sellers can then just automatically block buyers with policy violations. 

To the OP, just as a general answer to your original question, the only way you can protect yourself against INR claims on eBay is to use a fully tracked service that will show as delivered at the destination (if it never shows as delivered, then you won't be able to defend an eBay claim, so it pays to research which countries won't return tracking results even with services that promise it - there's a few).

To protect against PayPal INR claims, you need gain as much evidence as possible that establishes shipping address and lodgement (tracking helps, but is not 100% necessary, and the delivery status does not matter for PayPal).

Signature on delivery must be used on any order that is valued at $750 or more (including postage).

Item not as described disputes are trickier to defend against, though, and on eBay you're expected to provide the return postage if the buyer succeeds in a claim, so it's often advised to very carefully consider whether or not to ship expensive items overseas, especially if they have higher postage costs. 

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply