I am an idiot and now i need help please

I sold 5 pieces of gold on ebay - customer was happy.

The other 5 pieces of gold turned in at auction. After auction i got an email offering me a set amout for the 5 gold. I agreed and he payed thru paypal.

I sent via a tracking number.

I get a message to say he received but one piece of gold is the wrong sizing in the box.

I ring the first guy who got the other gold and he looks and yes - he has a wrong size in a box.

So the first guy sends his incorrect piece of gold back to me.

I tell the second guy to send his wrong piece back and i will swap boxes and sent them to the rightful owner and i will compensate postage.

I have had a whole pile of abusive messages to my phone calling me a thief. I said i have done nothing dishonest it is human error. Return the one incorrect coin and i will compensate you postage and return the correct coin to you.

He has just opened a paypal dispute trying to claim all the money back.

I have responded to the paypal dispute.

What will happen now?  Wouldnt paypal just tell him to return the incorrect coin to me via registered post so i can return the correct coin to him?

I have text messages of him demanding compensation in the tune of money.

Is there a fraud squad for online buying and selling?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: I am an idiot and now i need help please

OP I feel your pain. I've made similar mistakes in the past & it's horrendous when it goes pear shaped like this.

So, this transaction was only through PP, not ebay at all in the end (just wanted to get that straight)?

Has the problem buyer actually posted anything back yet? They have to do it with tracking, have they sent any info on their plans there?

I really hope they just send all 5 pieces back and you can fix this, at a loss of postage $$ but that'll be so much easier than any alternative. Also hope your so far non-problem buyer is ok to wait a little.

If the problem buyer stalls or sends back only the 1 piece I'd sit on the phone to PP until I could make someone understand what happened. Photos of opening the packaing, it's weight on kitchen scales before you open it (in case you have a recorded weight of when it was sent, but you may not)- anything you can put together. I really wish you well, you shouldn't be slaughtered for an honest mistake. We all do stuff like this at some point ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@my-original-art wrote:

I have no idea how stating the obvious is helpful Putney but yes thats exactly what occured - thankyou - hence i called myself idiot

Oh... well you can ignore the stuff about eBay cases then.

Ultimately it's irrelevant how the sale occurred, considering no rules were breached in any way, and presuming the invoice / payment reflects the transaction accurately - you have no obligation to make items available on eBay again if they don't sell here during their listing duration.

So, eBay stuff I mentioned above aside, everything else still stands. 

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

bene308
Community Member
What is the value difference between the one he got and the one he should have had. Would it be easier to just pay that difference instead of having to pay for two packages to be returned to you and then pay to send both back again.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

He got in excess of 1200 gold for 700 and one coin was in the wrong box - the guy who bought the cheap coins and found he had the expensive one - well he happily returned the expensive one - the guy who opened the dispute only had to send me back the one cheap one and i would send the two mixed up coins to their rightful owners.

He opened that dispute and paypal awarded him his $700 and told him to return the gold to me - by the end of the day i started getting messages to my phone that he has cancelled the dispute and he will keep the gold and dont worry about the expensive one - i said to him i have the correct coin here - all you have to do is post me back that cheap one and i will send the coins to the rightful owners - he says no no no everything is fine - im happy with what i got.

I was like aghhh are you kidding - so any way he told me to return the expensive coin back to the guy who should have got the cheap one.

All in all he cancelled the dispute i am left seriously going aghhh

But that financial thing (FOS) that was mentioned before - that group is awesome.  They are so ready and willing to take on paypal.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

As I understand it, this mongrel has ripped you off to the tune of around $500 and probably believes there's nothing you can do about it. May I suggest that you visit you local courthouse and have a chat with the Clerk Of The Court, who will be very happy to tell you how to take out a summons at minimal cost and have this thieving animal dragged into court.

It's also quite possible that the mere threat of your doing so will change his mind, but if not, as long as you have all of your paperwork in order, a magistrate would be very interested to hear about his unconscionable activities. Taking somebody to court is not as expensive as you might imagine and it is your absolute right to do so if you can't resolve the problem between yourselves.
Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying PayPal refunded him the $700 AND he's now decided he's keeping the coins? If that's the case, follow CQ's advice.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply