I am not a racist...

I listed 2 swapcards with sooty and sweep and a golly from rupert bear..no mention of the word gollywog, and i accept it upset someone, but the weird thing is if you look up black doll there are heaps of gollys ...

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I am not a racist...

That does sound ridiculous. From the looks of things, you are selling a lot of vintage swapcards and I personally cannot see that a golly from Rupert Bear would be offensive, but we live in interesting times, where if someone can take offence, they will.

It is almost as if the very word black is considered taboo now.

Don't worry, I don't think you are a racist, you're just a victim of hyper sensitive times.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I am not a racist...

I meant to say, my listing was removed...

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

That does sound ridiculous. From the looks of things, you are selling a lot of vintage swapcards and I personally cannot see that a golly from Rupert Bear would be offensive, but we live in interesting times, where if someone can take offence, they will.

It is almost as if the very word black is considered taboo now.

Don't worry, I don't think you are a racist, you're just a victim of hyper sensitive times.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

The world has gone mad, along with many of the people in it. Too many people have become too sensitive and constantly offended. This seems to be a phenomina of the left side of politics.

My wife is involved in disability advocacy and is currently a representative on a committee advising government on the introduction of disability policy. At her last meeting one person got very upset because some-one mentioned they where going to " mute " their microphone while they sorted some paperwork. Apparently that word was highly offensive, to the point the complainant moved seating positions at lunch time to get away from the microphone " muter ". 

Its frightening to consider people like this are running the place.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

You can follow some of the progression of what is offensive or not popular terms when collecting Barbie dolls.

First there were dolls like Black Francie (Francie is Barbie's cousin).

Then they didn't mention colour at all.

Then I came across a Barbie collector book where references to 'people of colour' peppered the pages.

Now the term (hopefully not offensive - for darker plastic Barbies) is AA - African American - if the doll is in a series that includes white and hispanic, otherwise colour is not mentioned.

In fact it seems Barbie has moved on from the question of terminology - they now have Barbies made of recycled plastics which is pretty good I reckon.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

The anecdote with the microphone is, of course, a ridiculous example, but the world has not "gone mad". To believe that, you would have to believe that one example is always representative of the way everyone who can be lumped into a single group, believes and thinks the same way, and that is literally impossible.

There are always individual examples of people across the entire spectrum of political leanings who are able to be paraded as an example to ridicule an entire movement, group or ideology, but those who do that are being extremely disingenuous, even if they don't know it.

The fundamental core of any leftist ideology is to reduce harm and maximise well-being. If there are things in the world that cause more harm by existing than they do by not existing, it makes sense to remove them. Some people not seeing the harm they can cause doesn't mean they don't cause harm. 

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

I have recently seen a whole collection at the Vinnies... Anyway, I think most of them are actually quite cute and lovely, so sometimes I must wonder if the real racists are those who think they should be banned because they are "grotesque". 

These dolls (I will link to the photo rather than embedding it) for example were banned from an exhibition, and they are actually really cute: https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/e44d5da6a7f2c5caf36ec0ed9db00642?width=1024

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

what really made me angry was ebays letter saying they are letting me know to ''re educate me''..with their wokeness.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

That is pretty odd (and not particularly appropriate) language for them to use in this kind of situation, and would seem to be a new thing (i.e. the policy in question has been around for a few years, so it's not new, and I've never heard of them using that kind of language in their notifications until now. 

I'm not going to get into what I think of this particular situation or whether it is a fair policy, though (been there, done that a few too many times ๐Ÿคฃ ). 

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I am not a racist...

And yet, there are cards listed with the word squaw.

This is just as offensive, and yet they remain.

swap cards squaw | eBay

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply