I got an unpleasant surprise today...

5kazam
Community Member

...all my listings on both id's have the auto relist feature ticked.

So when I accepted the 1000 free listing offer last weekend, I did as I have done previously - bulk relisted.  Time being something I'm pretty short of, I figured, great, now I don't have to worry about anything for a month.

100 odd finished today, and somehow the auto relist feature has now been unticked - but not by me.

eBay is trying to tell me I never ticked it, even though they can see on their history that I have relisted these items many times before, and the auto relist was ticked.

I just relisted about 20 items on my other id.  Checked, did a pretend revise, and the auto relist feature is ticked.  So a glitch on my main account.

Anyone else had this happen this weekend?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I was running 1 day auction with the box unticked and was bulk relisting each night, so can't say either way in this promotion. I have in the past run 1 day actions WITH the box ticked and when I go to relist, if I click relist, then relist without editing, sometimes (often) the auto relist didn't register, which I'd discover the next night when those items ended. So, I'd have to go into edit of each item I was relisting (where the box was always ticked), just to make sure the tick registered (or just relist individually on my phone where it takes you straight to the submit page complete with ticked box).

I can understand how infuriating this must be!

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

To save you some time when checking whether the box has remained ticked or not - go to the drop down box at the side of your item and at the bottom it will say '-Remove Automatic Relisting ' - so you know it's on.

Where it doesn't say anything then you will obviously have to Revise and tick the box.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Infuriating is a very appropriate word.

So unless eBay does something to reinstate my 100 odd, they'll sit there in unsold until the next promo.  No way am I going to be up for listing fees for their stuff up.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

That option isn't visible when an item has ended and it's also not there on its last relist. One doesn't always keep a record of which items have just been relisted, as opposd to items that are on their last relist when there are several hundred listings. I've had a number of times where that option has shown, yet it defaulted to unticked during a relist. It's very unpredictable that little box!

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Plus when you are bulk relisting that option doesn't show up.

There is a natural assumption that what you had already put in place on each of your listings will remain there.  And it took me hours initially to ensure that each and every listing was exactly as it should be.

I do not appreciate eBay 'editing' my listings unbeknownst to me.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Good points from both of you. - I have only relisted after returning from holiday - and then check the drop down box a couple of days later to see that some have  disappeared and others haven't.

It's not often I have things in my ended listings because I keep relisting as soon as I can - (don't even use my 40 freebies!!) so have never checked.

Also I very rarely make 'NEW' listings. Wherever possible I always 'Sell Similar' which have had the Relist Box since day one.

So - touch wood - I've never had it disappear on me like some other Board Members have reported.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

At the end of this last promotion, I had to manually relist every item because I needed to change the duration from 1 day back to 7 or 10 days, plus I had to retick the box. I chose to not tick the box as I only had about 150 listings and I felt more satisfied that I'd "used" more of the promotion, rather than just using 300.

If I'm participating in a promotion, the last few I've run 1 day auctions on everything (which it seems lots of others are doing too I noticed), with the box ticked (I wasn't going to manually relist everything on 2 accounts every night for a month!). The first few days it was hard to know which items were at the end of their relist from the one day auctions and which were ending from the regular duration, or which ones had the box unticked by eBay, so I had the menial task of relisting everything individually so I could check the duration and the box.

There were a few with the last promotion where all the boxes were unticked and they somehow reticked themselves! You can never pick what's going to happen.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

At the end of this last promotion, I had to manually relist every item because I needed to change the duration from 1 day back to 7 or 10 days, plus I had to retick the box. I chose to not tick the box as I only had about 150 listings and I felt more satisfied that I'd "used" more of the promotion, rather than just using 300.

If I'm participating in a promotion, the last few I've run 1 day auctions on everything (which it seems lots of others are doing too I noticed), with the box ticked (I wasn't going to manually relist everything on 2 accounts every night for a month!). The first few days it was hard to know which items were at the end of their relist from the one day auctions and which were ending from the regular duration, or which ones had the box unticked by eBay, so I had the menial task of relisting everything individually so I could check the duration and the box.

There were a few with the last promotion where all the boxes were unticked and they somehow reticked themselves! You can never pick what's going to happen.

tippy, you do know that after a listing starts you have two hours to change the duration if you need to make it longer?  If I want to change to a longer duration I bulk relist, then bulk edit within that two hours to the duration I want.  After that I go through and use the dropdown list to check that everything has auto relist on it and just edit the ones that haven't.

In my selling list I have it set to show the date listed and the duration.  Life is sooo much easier since I set it that way.  I know that there's still the problem of knowing which cycle the listings are on, but I put a note on one or two listings in the first batch I list in a promotion saying "originally listed on ....".  In case the one with the note sells I usually put notes on more than one in the batch.  If I was doing 1-day cycles I'd put a similar note on the batch that were first listed on each day of the promo.  

It doesn't necessarily help if you have a high sell-through rate but it can make a lot of difference in some circumstances.  As a last resort I'd arrange my emails by subject so they're sorted alphabetically and I can check when they started their first cycle.  When you bulk relist you don't get an email but if you've got three emails to say they were automatically relisted you know they're on their last cycle.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

No, I didn't know you had 2 hours to make the duration longer. That could be handy when you're (I'm) struggling close to the cut off time, you could just bulk relist, then go back after midnight and change everything. Thanks for that, that's really great to know!

I knew that once listed, you can't reduce the duration to 1 day (the lowest is 3 days). There were a couple I forgot to change the duration from 10 days and noticed straight away. I had to end them and relist because it wouldn't let me go lower than 3 days.

Speaking of 3 days, my newest account won't let me list any less than 3 days regardless. I've got a limit of 30 on that account, but only have 12 things listed. I wanted to run 2 of them as 1 day auctions for the whole month, but I couldn't, so they're running as 3 days.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply