I have a buyer that I think maybe is taking advantage of the fact that I offer free postage

hi, i think i have a buyer that is taking advantage of the fact that i offer free postage (no tracking). I have sent two lots of item so far and buyer is claiming that nothing has shown up. I have confirmed postal address with buyer and had sent both items to correct address.I find it difficult to believe that australia post has lost this item twice as i have never lost anything through aust post in 41 years. Im willing to send another item (with tracking) but am wondering if there are any othe options available.

Thanks paul

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: I have a buyer that I think maybe is taking advantage of the fact that I offer free postage

Aus Post may not be losing the item, it could be getting pilfered from the letterbox. There's not a lot you can do. Take the risk and send low value items without tracking and refund or replace if they disappear or send everything with tracking.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Re: I have a buyer that I think maybe is taking advantage of the fact that I offer free postage

Helpful, Thankyou

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I would refund and politely say due to the fact there are problems with mail not being delivered to her you can no longer send any items. I would also tell her that you will refer the matter to Australia post to investigate. See if they magically appear.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

If you send all your items at large letter rates you could complete a DIY lodgement form and ask if your PO will stamp it as proof of lodgement. If they agree. it will give you seller protection for PayPal Item Not Received claims but will not prevent bad feedback or lost repeat buyers.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

this is exactly what i do for all my large letters.The PO was fine with date stamping my book as long as it wasn't to make a claim against them.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Someone a while back suggested to resend items care of the post office if something whent missing. I have never had two lots go missing before but I have had customers contact me and say that both the original and resend have arrived at the same time (over a 3 weeks span) and offer to pay for the extra item. It has actually happened a few times.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

no use to you now, but in future I recommend that if you send any item a second time - always use a tracking method, even if you are out of pocket.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Australian Post does make mistakes sometimes. Being with eBay for more than 10 years, I did have some lost items as a buyer and a seller in the past. With current eBay/Paypal system, you don't have much choice but to refund or send another one, I know it's unfair but you have to accept it. My suggestion is to offer registered post as an option in your listing in the future, and make it clear that you'll not be responsible for lost items if not registered. However, if the buyer decided to escalate with Paypal the outcome is unlikely to be in your favour. But at least you can argue with the buyer. Most buyers are reasonable and understand the risk.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Hi,

I post alot of items in envelopes and all i can say is NEVER USE STAMPS, make sure that when you lodge it at the postoffice that it has there printed sticker on it and make sure you take a photo clearly showing the address as well as the sticker, have had this happen before and was told via paypal that this in there eyes is a form of tracking with the reciept and will favour you if a dispute is started, have had about 10 people in the last few months claim they never got there item and lodged disputes with paypal and each one was favoured in my case   🙂

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply