I might make a free online replacement for Turbo Lister

Now that Turbo Lister is gone, I've looked around and tried a few things on offer in its place.

Basically I just want to store hundreds of listings for free in a database where I can edit them over time and upload them all in one go whenever the random big free insertion promotions occur (once a month or so).  Turbo Lister, with all its little quirks, was a great tool for doing just that and was long overdue to be retired the way it was.  I think we've been very lucky to have had it for so long.

I've discovered eBay's own FileExchange system, where you can keep a delimited file full of items and data to upload to eBay and it puts all the items online (or revises/ends them, depending on the command).  There's a lot of manual work involved, such as remotely hosting images (and pasting in the URLs to them), inputting your business policies, making sure your listings are inside your listing allowance and limits, writing up HTML descriptions, etc.

Being a web developer, I can see ways to all easily automate most of this, but I am not interested in making an all-in-one, super duper big system as I simply don't have time.  I just want the basics to help make it easier to keep my small side business going with as little cost as possible.  I'll be making this in my spare time which is limited.

Once I get something going for myself, I was thinking of adding an account signup/login system so others can create accounts and use my system too, but remember it's only going to be basic, using business policies defined at eBay (removing a lot of extra programming work on my end) and the minimum fields required, I don't want it to be too complicated so it can stay free.

The other thing which will need attention is that I will have to stay on top of changes to eBay's system changes (such as the recent forced move to GTC listings), but unless it's something major changing like this, I am sure the system won't need much other updating over time.

Would anyone be interested in using such a system?  I mean, is there something else out there which does this for free which I am missing?  Or some paid service or upgrade which people would prefer to use over something free and simple?  Or is everyone happy to just edit their FileExchange file through Excel or a text editor?

I am thinking of adding additional features such as choosing which account to list items under, hosting your images, creating a community of user-submitted templates (and providing my own templates for your use), and other things.

Hope to hear some responses and suggestions...

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sounds like there might be an interest in something like that.

For me, probably not. I use the Inventory function in Seller Hub. As that seems to only be available to Selling Manager Pro subscribers, who get it free with a store subscription, I would think many non-store sellers would be interested.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

We've never used turbo-lister, we just "sell similar" or occasionally create new listings.

But then, being retired, we have the time.
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Now with eBay discontinuing 30 day BIN listings, some sellers will probably be choosy as to what they list every month and need a way to store additional non active listings.

image host
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@love_of_cars wrote:

Now that Turbo Lister is gone, I've looked around and tried a few things on offer in its place.

Basically I just want to store hundreds of listings for free in a database where I can edit them over time and upload them all in one go whenever the random big free insertion promotions occur (once a month or so).  Turbo Lister, with all its little quirks, was a great tool for doing just that and was long overdue to be retired the way it was.  I think we've been very lucky to have had it for so long.

I've discovered eBay's own FileExchange system, where you can keep a delimited file full of items and data to upload to eBay and it puts all the items online (or revises/ends them, depending on the command).  There's a lot of manual work involved, such as remotely hosting images (and pasting in the URLs to them), inputting your business policies, making sure your listings are inside your listing allowance and limits, writing up HTML descriptions, etc.

Being a web developer, I can see ways to all easily automate most of this, but I am not interested in making an all-in-one, super duper big system as I simply don't have time.  I just want the basics to help make it easier to keep my small side business going with as little cost as possible.  I'll be making this in my spare time which is limited.

Once I get something going for myself, I was thinking of adding an account signup/login system so others can create accounts and use my system too, but remember it's only going to be basic, using business policies defined at eBay (removing a lot of extra programming work on my end) and the minimum fields required, I don't want it to be too complicated so it can stay free.

The other thing which will need attention is that I will have to stay on top of changes to eBay's system changes (such as the recent forced move to GTC listings), but unless it's something major changing like this, I am sure the system won't need much other updating over time.

Would anyone be interested in using such a system?  I mean, is there something else out there which does this for free which I am missing?  Or some paid service or upgrade which people would prefer to use over something free and simple?  Or is everyone happy to just edit their FileExchange file through Excel or a text editor?

I am thinking of adding additional features such as choosing which account to list items under, hosting your images, creating a community of user-submitted templates (and providing my own templates for your use), and other things.

Hope to hear some responses and suggestions...

You should be able to find all the necessary API's in the developers program pages.

Here's a list of trading calls:

Trading API Calls

I'd love to see something like what you describe.

File Exchange is sort of Ok but does not allow for Put requests to EPS (eBay Picture Service).

With FE all images have to be externally hosted.

I'm already brushing up on node.js and json but the curve is pretty steep in the short term.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply