I need buyers mobile for shippng

Is there still a way to make it compulsory for a buyer to include a contact phone number when they make their payment?  I'm sure there used to be a way of setting it but its been a while since I've used ebay and can't seem to find it anywhere.  I need this for courier and shipping purposes and don't want to have to ask each individual buyer separately.

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

can you pop into seller hub?   I notice that in there there is a drop down menu for "view sales record"  under Orders > Awaiting Delivery Print Postage Label - which will give you their number.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I've been and had a look In Seller hub but it only shows a name and address for shipping.  I am sending their purchase via Courier so need a mobile and an email address.  PayPal doesn't appear to supply those anymore either so also don't have an email address for them to send updates direct from Courier.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

You can request the buyer's contact information using the Advanced Search -> Find contact information. (Hopefully this still provides the phone number; the information is only available for eBay members with whom you've been in a transaction - if you're either the buyer or the seller.)

The direct link is here.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Some ebay buyers dont have accurate mobile phone numbers in their account details for security reasons. ( me included ). It might be worth putting the shipping details at the start of your terms and mentioning the phone number requirement there.

It may also be worth mentioning that you ship by courier only in your item description, as many buyers may not notice it in the shipping section of the listing and some buyers including many country based customers wont buy items which require courier delivery. People who work and are not home during the day to recieve the item may choose not to buy couriered items.

Not being picky, but there is a lot of information in your listings. I appreciate you need a lot of info in the item description and this is well laid out and easy to read, but by the time a buyer has scrolled through all of this info on their mobile phone, they are unlikely to wade through all of the terms and conditions as well.

Some such as the seller not taking responsibility for items damaged in transit if insurance is not purchased are inconsistent with ebay rules. If the item arrives damaged, the buyer can claim through the resolution centre for their money back, including postage both ways. Regardless of the terms in the listing, ebay will simply take the money from your paypal or bank account and refund the buyer. If insufficient funds are available, ebay will restrict your selling account until you have paid the buyer for the damaged item.

If you require insurance in transit to protect yourself it would be much better to factor that into the shipping cost of each item and spruik " free transit insurance " in the listing. Basically it may be worth considering if you can trim down the terms and conditions so that there is some chance buyers will actually read them.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Further to the last post, I just had another look at your terms and conditions. Basically most are inconsistent with ebay policy. On top of the shipping insurance term already mentioned, a couple of others that stood out where......

Photos are for illustration only ?

- Sorry, but photos form part of the item description. If they incorrect the buyer can claim item not as described and will almost certainly win a case.

The purchase is a binding contract and must be followeed through with ? ........

Well yes it should be, but that is a given and not worth really mentioning in terms and conditions. There are potential penalties for buyers who have two or more unpaid strikes against their buying accounts, so ebay has a system to manage this problem.

Payment must be made within three days or sale will be cancelled ?

- Ebay allow buyers four days to pay before an unpaid item case can be lodged and a further four days to pay for the item before the case can be closed. Cancelling the sale before then could see you recieve a defect and a couple of those and your selling account could be restricted or closed.

Feedback will be left reflecting buyers who dont pay or meet all of your terms ? ...........

- Buyers can only recieve a green dot and positive comments in feedback. Sellers who issue a green dot but then proceed to give the buyers negative feedback comments risk account restrictions as the practice breaches ebay feedback policy..

All up your terms and conditions are a major concern. They need to be either scrapped altogether or at least re-written to better reflect ebay policy. As they stand now you are genuinely risking your own selling account if you follow the terms as currently laid out.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I agree with ALL that Chameleon has wriiten here...

Especially the bit about cancellation without notice.

A seller can only cancel a transaction for three reasons:

1. The buyer requested it

2. There is a problem with the buyer's address

3. The item is out of stock

#3 wil certainly earn you a defect and can readily lead to account restriction. So never choose this reason!

#1 & #2... if you cite either of these two reasons then if the buyer complains to ebay you would need to be able to substantiate your reason for cancellatoin. If you were unable to do that then you may receive a policy violation recorded on your selling account. Too many of these can also lead to selling account restrictions.

After a cancellation the buyer can still leave feedback.

Also a buyer has to acknowledge a cancellation (for reasons 1 & 2). If they fail to do that then you will have to wait 10-days for it to time out.

However, if the buyer fails to make payment after 4-days (the ebay allowed timeframe) you can open up a UID (Unpaid Item Dispute) case. Then if it still remains unpaid after a further 4-days the case can be closed and you will be credited your FVF and the transaction will be cancelled. Also the buyer will then be unable to leave any kind of feedback. The buyer also then receives an unpaid item strike on their buying account.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

sorry horsey - I can definitely see the phone numbers in my items waiting postage - Can I just remind you of the seller hub sequence?

a drop down menu for "view sales record"  under Orders > Awaiting Delivery Print Postage Label -

I see it is also available under Orders > Posted and Waiting Feedback .

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I also agree with everything chameleon has said about your terms and conditions. Apart from anything else, by having terms that are different to ebay's you're almost inviting scammers to prove that they don't have to adhere to your terms. In other words, your current terms are like waving a red rag in front of a bull.

I would think that requiring the buyer's phone number would be under site preferences but I can't find it there. I do remember seeing it before.
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I think you will find that some buyers do not put their phone numbers on ebay.

I hane my home number added and usually when I get overseas or courier parcels it is plainly on the address label.  The sellers obviously have access to it without ringing ebay.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply