I offered a person a discount How do I give that discount

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: I offered a person a discount How do I give that discount

I certainly can - I had free postage on all my listings until recently, and I often get buyers who just want one card out of a pair for example so they buy and I refund them the savings via the invoice.  I regularly did this with all my free postage items.  I also used it to deduct larger amounts if someone missed out on a discount sale I was having so I wanted them to have the benefit.  Just tonight I sent an invoice with $0 postage and $11 discount as they bought many items.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

As you can see below, I've entered the maximum discount possible which is equal to the amount of the postage charged.

2014-12-02 03-22-51.png

However, whenever I try to subtract any discount in excess of the maximum postage amount of $2.10, this is the message I get...

discount.png

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten those of use who are clearly too thick to work out for ourselves how to enter a discount in excess of the postage amount. I'm sure we'd all be eternally grateful (well, I know I would, because I've been trying for as long as I can remember and there is no way it will let me discount any more than the amount I've specified for postage).

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Refunding after they pay? What if they pay with paypal? Wont they end up with a defect?

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

If your going to offer discounts the best way is to put the best offer option on your add.... if you have offered a discount after they buy the item then the only way is through the postage costs or if you got free postage then offer a partual refund.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

All our items are "FREE" post items and if we try to use the -$x.xx option we get an error message.

Means you cannot discount unles its against the postage amount. And then only up to that amount max.

So I don't understand why the invoicing system allows you to discount on those.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Is it maybe something that needs to be set up in your selling account ??

It does seem weird that the option is there if it can't be done ?

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:

As you can see below, I've entered the maximum discount possible which is equal to the amount of the postage charged.

Perhaps you'd care to enlighten those of use who are clearly too thick to work out for ourselves how to enter a discount in excess of the postage amount. I'm sure we'd all be eternally grateful (well, I know I would, because I've been trying for as long as I can remember and there is no way it will let me discount any more than the amount I've specified for postage).

I have never said anyone was thick, I am struggling to work out why you would say that 😞

I don't know why it works for me, but it does.  I have postage discounts set up in my business policies, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.  maybe because it multiplies all the postage amounts the buyer gets (as they are muliple purchases I discounted for).  Sorry it doesn't work for others and I have no idea then why it would work for me?

And if you refund through PayPal you won't get a defect if you refund directly to their email address - so log into your paypal account, copy their email address the payment was sent from and do a manual payment to them.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

I had this happen to me the other day. The easiest way I found to do it was to create an invoice in paypal.
Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I have never said anyone was thick, I am struggling to work out why you would say that :smileysad:

I know you didn't say that and I'm not suggesting that you did. I said it because I am obviously too thick to work it out for myself. 

You clearly said...

I certainly can - I had free postage on all my listings until recently, and I often get buyers who just want one card out of a pair for example so they buy and I refund them the savings via the invoice.  I regularly did this with all my free postage items.  I also used it to deduct larger amounts if someone missed out on a discount sale I was having so I wanted them to have the benefit.  Just tonight I sent an invoice with $0 postage and $11 discount as they bought many items.

However, in the very next post I included images to show you exactly what happens if I try to discount or refund any amount in excess of the postage charged. And I'm not the only one. It is simply not possible to reduce the invoice to any amount less that the sub-total, so I'm at a complete loss to understand how you manage to do it when nobody else can, which is precisely why I said "Perhaps you'd care to enlighten those of us who are clearly too thick to work it out for ourselves".

So you see, I wasn't having a go at you at all. I was having a go at myself. And I'm still waiting. 🙂

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

@character_parties_aus wrote:

Refunding after they pay? What if they pay with paypal? Wont they end up with a defect?

they are not wanting to refund the whole amount they are wanting to give a discount ....BIG difference there and no defect for partial; refunds.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply