I received negative feedback for a transaction that never happened.

Its pretty simple, or so you'd think.

The winning bidder didnt pay me via the method that was stated in the Description, he used PayPal. My Paypal wasnt up and running properly yet, and after some 10 days of his shennanigans, i had to cancel the transaction, no hard feelings etc. Now he leaves me  negative feedback and ebay says thats fine, even though there was no transaction that actually took place. Even the ebay online chat guy said that he could see there was no transaction and therefore the feedback could be removed... sigh.. any thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I looked at the listing and you said you would only accept Direct Deposit payment, you cannot do that, you must offer at least one safe-payment option for buyers. It doesn't matter that you didn't have your paypal account sorted out.

I suspect the neg will stay, and if you complain to eBay they might see the DD payment you tried to enforce and sanction you for it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Do some research before selling. but somehow I dont think you are going to be selling for very much longer.  A transaction has obviously occurred or Negative FB  could not be left.  I really hope that is not the buyers address you have disclosed in FB reply

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

WOW GP, that follow-up wasn't there before, that's big no no. If the buyer complains you could easily get booted off eBay for that. or at the very least get you selling account closed down.

And you've probably done your dash on getting the neg removed.

Bad move on your part.............shake_head_no_emote_by_mirz123-d3frvi2.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Hi Padi,  Yeah, very foolish move by the OPi

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

To gp & padi.

maybe they didn't like your thoughts::Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@atlantic-coins wrote:

The winning bidder didnt pay me via the method that was stated in the Description, he used PayPal. My Paypal wasnt up and running properly yet, and after some 10 days of his shennanigans, i had to cancel the transaction, no hard feelings etc. Now he leaves me  negative feedback and ebay says thats fine, even though there was no transaction that actually took place. Even the ebay online chat guy said that he could see there was no transaction and therefore the feedback could be removed... sigh.. any thoughts?

It is pretty simple.

You as a seller did the wrong thing. You're supposed to offer something like paypal as well as direct deposit.

There are some things you can't do in descriptions and breaking ebay regulations etc to suit yourself is one of them.

I know you feel the buyer knew before he bid what the score was but have a look at it from a buyer's point of view. Here you are, with practically no feedback, a score of 10 doesn't cut it quite frankly. And you're asking the buyer to pay by an insecure method, where they'll have no buyer protection whatsoever if you skip out with the funds.

Buyers are often willing to buy from low feedback sellers, as long as they can pay via paypal.

If you paypal isn't up and running, get it into order asap before you list anything else because otherwise this is going to be a continuing problem for you with bidders.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@atlantic-coins wrote:

after some 10 days of his shennanigans,

That's a bit rich, since you did pretty much everything wrong in this situation, and if your reply to the FB contains someone else's details, it's appalling. Smiley Surprised

Telling people to pay for $200 items by bank deposit only makes you look about as trustworthy as a Rolex watch seller on the street corner, and not only would it be costing you sales (if that's something you care about), you're breaching eBay policy by doing so, and buyers know they are able to pay with a safe method regardless. Your listing also says PayPal is accepted, it has to in order to be able to be listed and you know that, because you can't create a listing without entering those details.

If you're not set up for PayPal, you're not set up to sell on eBay, period (exception being those who are on managed payments, of course). 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I would like to know what the buyers shennanigans were?

Going off what you have posted, you are 100% in the wrong every way you look at it 

Not only would you not allow them to pay, you publlish their home address in your feedback reply 

I hope the buyer has the sense to report you to eBay for doing so 

The 'online chat guy' was reading from a script like they all do

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@atlantic-coins wrote:

Feedback is gone. No doubt the OP went into a crying frenzy with CS. Me,I'd ban them. They screwed up monumentaly. They think there was no transaction. Really? Buyer bought and paid. That to me is a transaction. OP wanted to be a c0ck because they didn't want to pay 20c in fees.

This so called "seller" won't have a leg to stand on if they keep breaking the rules. Their days are numbered.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply