I require selling tips and advice

esky89
Community Member

Hello eBay community!

I have finally come to a stage where I want to sell the video game collector items I purchased through 2016-2019. I am nervous in using eBay at the moment and was hoping for encouragement by the community into how to sell.

The main concern for my nervousness, would be buyer scammers.

As the items reach prices from $150-$400 (confirmed prices with other sales on eBay) I am worried that a buyer will use any technique to refund the item and keeping the collectors item with the refund.

My items are in Great condition and do not want to go through the loss. Is there any ways you can prevent this from happening, so if the buyer tries to open a case and get the refund you can have enough evidence that you have done everything correctly as a seller?

Thank you for the time, 

Kind Regards.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Always send with tracking within your handling time, and any combined purchase over the value of $750 needs a signature from the recipient. I would limit to buyers within Australia only due to significant delays and the possibility that the game will not work on devices overseas (I think they are still by region?)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Hi there Esky,  unfortunately there are no guarantees that you won't get scammed, in fact you can just about guarantee that you will at some time.  (It happens to us all at some stage).

I don't know much about collectable games or the associated merchandise, but as a new seller you are likely

to attract attention from scammers, so I would suggest you start small and list your lower value items first,

this can also be helpful in generating initial sales, as until ebay are satisfied you are a trustworthy seller,

your funds will be on hold  for 21days via paypal  or  30 days via managed payments.

Before you start, also make sure you understand  what ebay fees you will be paying and what your postage costs will be.   If you intend using the Auction format, do not start Items at 99c or similar, but instead start your items at the lowest price you are prepared to part with the item.

Note, it is a long game and you will always be learning on the way.

Edit:  Just to add when calculating what you will charge for post, remember that ebay fees also apply to the postage, so you have to add approx 13.4% to  AP prices.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Also, have a look a the buyers feedback - make sure they leave mainly positive reviews, with the odd negative not necessarily being a red flag.

However, if they leave lots of negatives, you can cancel the transaction and block them (there is only one cancellation choice that seller can make which will not incur a defect on your account).

As mentioned above - do not start your listings at 99c - that's a sure way to end up unhappy with the price. 

Better to list the item at a Buy It Now price and make sure you have "Immediate Payment" ticked, so that there is no quibble about being paid.

I also think you should start small and build up some more selling feedback, get a feel for the whole process, including how much postage costs for various things and become a bit more established. Scammers are always on the look out for inexperienced sellers, unfortunately.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

purveyor_of_tat
Community Member

Use all 12 photos, zooming in on any flaws. You have oodles and oodles of space to write a description - use it. Use it wisely - don't write excessive amounts, be succinct and be clear.

Take photos like you cannot write a description. Write a description like you cannot take photos.

The first four words of the item title are the most important for eBay's algorithm.

As a private seller, never pay for listing upgrades.

Offer a 30-day, buyer paid, returns policy. eBay have the 30-day money back guarantee, so offering the same period in 'change of mind' returns can give some buyers peace of of mind (and may lessen the number of INAD cases)

Use freepost - cover the postage in the item price. Your DSR's won't take a ding and if use a postage method with sufficient insurance, it won't put buyer's off as they can't see the hefty price.

If in doubt, offer cash on collection. Fees are the same with MP but buyer's lose access to the MBG for INAD.

Never list anything on eBay that you cannot afford to lose.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Always send with tracking within your handling time, and any combined purchase over the value of $750 needs a signature from the recipient. I would limit to buyers within Australia only due to significant delays and the possibility that the game will not work on devices overseas (I think they are still by region?)

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Hi there Esky,  unfortunately there are no guarantees that you won't get scammed, in fact you can just about guarantee that you will at some time.  (It happens to us all at some stage).

I don't know much about collectable games or the associated merchandise, but as a new seller you are likely

to attract attention from scammers, so I would suggest you start small and list your lower value items first,

this can also be helpful in generating initial sales, as until ebay are satisfied you are a trustworthy seller,

your funds will be on hold  for 21days via paypal  or  30 days via managed payments.

Before you start, also make sure you understand  what ebay fees you will be paying and what your postage costs will be.   If you intend using the Auction format, do not start Items at 99c or similar, but instead start your items at the lowest price you are prepared to part with the item.

Note, it is a long game and you will always be learning on the way.

Edit:  Just to add when calculating what you will charge for post, remember that ebay fees also apply to the postage, so you have to add approx 13.4% to  AP prices.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Also, have a look a the buyers feedback - make sure they leave mainly positive reviews, with the odd negative not necessarily being a red flag.

However, if they leave lots of negatives, you can cancel the transaction and block them (there is only one cancellation choice that seller can make which will not incur a defect on your account).

As mentioned above - do not start your listings at 99c - that's a sure way to end up unhappy with the price. 

Better to list the item at a Buy It Now price and make sure you have "Immediate Payment" ticked, so that there is no quibble about being paid.

I also think you should start small and build up some more selling feedback, get a feel for the whole process, including how much postage costs for various things and become a bit more established. Scammers are always on the look out for inexperienced sellers, unfortunately.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

purveyor_of_tat
Community Member

Use all 12 photos, zooming in on any flaws. You have oodles and oodles of space to write a description - use it. Use it wisely - don't write excessive amounts, be succinct and be clear.

Take photos like you cannot write a description. Write a description like you cannot take photos.

The first four words of the item title are the most important for eBay's algorithm.

As a private seller, never pay for listing upgrades.

Offer a 30-day, buyer paid, returns policy. eBay have the 30-day money back guarantee, so offering the same period in 'change of mind' returns can give some buyers peace of of mind (and may lessen the number of INAD cases)

Use freepost - cover the postage in the item price. Your DSR's won't take a ding and if use a postage method with sufficient insurance, it won't put buyer's off as they can't see the hefty price.

If in doubt, offer cash on collection. Fees are the same with MP but buyer's lose access to the MBG for INAD.

Never list anything on eBay that you cannot afford to lose.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

esky89
Community Member

You guys are great and have given my confidence!

I will take all the information you have written and use it correctly.

Thank you again for your time in responding the my question, I will expect loss and start slow.

Have a good day everyone and be safe!

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply