I want to try "retail arbitrage" on ebay, how can I minimise shipping costs?

wipa_37
Community Member

I'm 18 and I want to try and earn a bit of extra money by performaing retail arbitrage, AKA finding deals then reselling the items bought.

So lets say I find a great deal for something online, lets say like a blender 50% off on another site or something. Is there any way to work it so it never gets shipped to my address and instead rather straight to the buyer (or maybe like to an ebay warehouse where it can sit until a buyer is found for the item) rather then have to ship it to me, then I have to ship it elsewhere? Having the item shipped to me then to whomever is buying seems like a waste of money, especially since I live in a rural area and shipping costs here are high.

If there is a way to do this, how would this work if I have an international buyer?

Just so everybody knows, this is my very first time selling anything online, definitely the first time selling on ebay, haven't even setup a sellers account yet.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It's called "dropshipping" and most buyers hate it and it's one of the quickest ways to destroy an on-line business.

It's a bad idea not just because buyers don't like it, but are you totally reliant on the seller you buy off to send the items quickly to your buyer - or indeed send them at all. Also, what are you going to do if the buyer complains or opens a dispute about the item being faulty?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Many sellers have considered this function but never used. The risks are too great to your business.

Most of us here buy and re-sell, so what you are wanting to do is not new, but drop-shipping can be a can of worms.

eBay do not have a warehouse, they are merely a platform for you to advertise (like a newspaper) not a storage facility.

As you are a brand-new seller with no experience, we would recommend that you try your hand at a personal level first. Try to get the hang of selling by listing some items of your own, family members, or go to your local op-shop and buy a few cheaper items and list and try to re-sell them first.  You will find that there are many intricacies and traps that you only learn by hands on. Better to learn in a smaller, safe environment rather than outlaying large amount of $'s. 

Also, you need to have a few listings up and running, not just one or two, very hard to get "seen" with a small group. 

You must do some personal research, read up on eBay about listings, fees, handling times, returns, etc.......

If you do end up going with drop-shipping, and want to buy from other sellers/wholesalers, they may also want minimum purchases from you. Something to think about.

Some other sellers will probably drop in here and give you some more advice and information.

eBay can be a lot of fun and lucrative as long as you know the rules, can weather the ups and downs and have the right products.  

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Read  ebays  Third-Party Fulfilment Policy and Guidelines

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy/thirdparty-fulfilmen...

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy/thirdparty-fulfilmen...

Firstly you will need to have in place, a valid written agreement with any and all third parties you use.

You will also need valid written proof, that you have pre purchased  goods  and are the legitimate owner

before items are listed. 

Packaging must not include details of the  Third-Party  and you are also responsible for ensuring  Third-Party security of your buyers information.

You will also have to consider any Third-Party storage and processing fees.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

It can be done, but I would also recommend that you get the hang of Ebay as a seller before doing anything else. My guess is that you've watched some Youtube videos in which sellers claim to have made millions by drop shipping. I guess it is possible, but only a small number of them are really successful, no matter what they put out in their videos. It takes a massive amount of time and energy to set this type of thing up, and you'll need proper selling experience behind you to make it work.

Besides finding your way around Ebay, there are also things to consider when drop shipping. I would think that most drop shippers use AliExpress where there are literally billions of products to consider. You would need to find very reputable sellers on that platform (4 stars and above). If it was me, I would get some products sent to myself to see the quality and the shipping time. I've ordered some stuff from them for my kids and I find that the minimum shipping time is at least a month. Sometimes it can take 3 months and sometimes the quality can vary from one shipment to the next!

There are far too many things that could go wrong - items don't turn up for your buyer, the quality is poor, the quantity is not what is advertised. All of these things leave you on the hook for refunds and negatives.

Also, if you drop ship from China, everything will be sent in packaging with Chinese all over it, which is one way to upset your buyers who think the item is located in Australia. 

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

You could use a fulfilment warehouse (eBay doesn't have one like Amazon does), but there would be no way to avoid shipping to you first, because they have their own requirements for how things are packaged and labeled, so that would increase your costs quite a bit (shipping to you, shipping to the warehouse, shipping to the customer).

Dropshipping, as others have mentioned = you have all of the responsibility and none of the control; if you have a supplier in mind that you trust highly, this can be ok, but if you've thought about doing it with department stores (K Mart is a common one), you really just can't. They will include their own invoices and branding on the package shipped to the buyer, which is the cause of eBay's policy that doesn't allow this anymore (buyers were seeing they could have just gone to their local store and paid significantly less for the item, which is just a bad strategy for successful selling all-round). A lot of them also do not deliver Australia-wide, which means the people who often shop online for department-store stuff are looking for it because of that, which means you have a high risk of getting orders your third-party won't deliver to anyway - it's a recipe for bad feedback and a short venture into selling.  

The best thing to do when starting out selling is to test the waters with some small, low-risk items that you are 100% in control of, from images to shipping them out. You can set your listings up for delivery within Australia-only and prevent international buyers from purchasing, and just get a feel for how everything works. 

Just in case this idea has come after seeing someone talk about how they made heaps of money in their sleep -  nobody sells the secret to success, they sell idea there is a secret to success. 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

as others have suggested, start your selling journey slowly rather than diving in with your ‘blender’ type idea.  Sell things you know about.

If you want to know how a buyer may feel when they realise that you are on-selling at an inflated price then have a read of this thread:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/SCAM-alert-Sellers-posting-Kmart-items-at-inflated-prices/m-...

The item the buyer receives is likely to have an invoice attached showing the price you paid.  You may see the extra $ as a fee for service in sourcing discounted goods, but buyers are fickle creatures . . . especially if the feel they have been duped!  You will only need one or two feedback exposing your selling strategy and your eBay ID will be doomed.

There was a tricky poster here years ago who thought it a good idea to list Playstations.  His plan was that when a buyer bought from him he would order one from the USA to ensure they had the latest one.  He had express shipping with a 20 day handling time to allow for the item to come from America.  He was asking $1,200 and thinking he could make money if he sourced them at $1,100 from the USA.  He didn’t do his homework as he thought he could say “no returns” and avoid having to refund any buyers if a dispute was raised.  Fees alone would ensure he lost money on his genius idea!

His previous selling experience was listing empty product boxes with ambiguous titles, pictures and descriptions.  His selling career didn’t last long.

Spoiler

There are some strategies for making money on eBay that, while not foolproof, can be profitable.  There are YouTube videos showing these.  I’m not going to spoil your excitement at finding out these strategies for yourself . . . but I will let you know one that works for me (in spoiler), and one that I have used just a few times (below spoiler).

Spoiler
some time back, when the A$ was high against the US$, I bought up a lot of Pentax K1000 film cameras for the USA.  I was paying about A$50 to A$100 for each camera.  Last year, in the lead up to Christmas, I sold some of these cameras for anything from A$350 to $1,000 depending on what extra items I included with the camera.  Many of my buyers indicated they were buying as a Christmas present for a loved one.  Bottom line is I found a ‘niche item’ that has greatly increased in value in the last 5 years.  I still have some K1000 cameras to sell.  I will sell them in the lead up to Christmas this year i.e. ‘timing’ can influence selling success.

The other strategy involves sourcing items on eBay where titles have spelling mistakes.  There is even a website that will find misspelled listing titles for you:

http://www.watchcount.com/misspelled.php

From that site:

84E9B907-4E0D-4674-8437-E3FDE92D70FF.jpeg

Best advice I can give you is to let you know that selling can be a hard slog.  Gone are the days where eBay provided golden opportunities for sellers.  Start your selling experience selling item/s that you know about, items that you might find at low prices that will enable a decent markup to be made if you flip them.  I know Pentax K1000 cameras, a very specific interest.  I buy cameras, clean them up a little, take good pics and write detailed descriptions.  This works for me.

ALSO, and very importantly, do not buy items for resale on the same ID.  Set yourself a ‘buying’ ID and a ‘selling’ ID.  This way your potential buyers won’t see what you paid for the items.

I have some time to spare, so I’ll let you in on another strategy that worked very well for me some time back.  When I was teaching I would regularly head off to Sydney or Melbourne during school holidays (I taught in S-W NSW and live in N-W Victoria).  In the lead up to holidays I would search for listings of bulk darkroom equipment.  These listings for bulk items would usually be ‘pickup only’ . . . meaning limited buyer pool.  I would message sellers and ask if they would hold the items until the holidays if I won the auction.  Most would say ‘yes’, especially when I told them I would bid aggressively.

I bought so much darkroom equipment that I was able to sell off one or two items from a purchase and make all my money back.  I would then donate some equipment to my school and sell some to fund future purchases.  One purchase that comes to mind was for an enlarger, enlarger timer, paper easel, paper shear, film developing tanks, bulk film loader and a heap of other stuff that I won for around $50.  When I got home from holidays I cleaned up the enlarger timer and auctioned it and it sold for $72.  I still have a lot of equipment here to sell and will get around to selling it in future.  While I wait I have noticed that asking prices for items similar to those I have have increased, so I am in no hurry to sell.

If you live in a major capital city this strategy can work so long as what you buy is ‘pickup only’ but can be sold off in bits and pieces.  Things that might be suitable include:

- boxes of comic books

- large collections of collector cards, CDs or DVDs

- bulk lots bought at clearing auctions (g’day chamo)

- items that can be stripped for parts (I also sell K1000 parts/accessories on another ID)

As someone else posted, posters are not likely to help you so that you become a competitor.  What I have done is point you in some directions that can work for anyone who is prepared to work at it.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

The link for misspelled items only works for USA, UK or Canada

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

thanks for that stawks.

Members can still try searching by using common misspellings of a word.  I have sometimes done a search for Pantax, Pentex or Pantex.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

but buyers are fickle creatures . . . especially if the feel they have been duped!  You will only need one or two feedback exposing your selling strategy and your eBay ID will be doomed.

having had the afternoon to give this more thought, I just want to expand on this part of my post.

Buyers now have 500 characters when leaving feedback.  This would mean that a buyer can write a novel about how they feel duped.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply