IS EBAY'S "UPCOMING CHANGES TO ACTIVE CONTENT " A JOKE? SERIOUSLY

From eBay:

"Remove active content today and you’ll enjoy the following benefits:

faster load times"

"we’ll limit the use of active content in all new listings across all devices"

How about eBay itself limit it's own use??? or at the VERY LEAST provide a quality of JavaScript that is above dismal...

The amount of dogey and error-prone JavaScript from eBay itself is simply a joke, and they say this?

I lost count of how many examples I could provide, it's unbeliveable that a site the size of eBay could have such poor quality coding, whoever (or the team) is in charge of hiring-etc coders should be sacked on the spot and replaced with someone who actually knows what to look for and how to recognize and fix poor quality coders and coding...

unbelievable

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: IS EBAY'S "UPCOMING CHANGES TO ACTIVE CONTENT " A JOKE? SERIOUSLY

I seem to remember reading an ebay announcement that said if the active content

wasn't removed from your listings, that they would remove the listing.

Can't seem to find that now.   Guess they changed their minds.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

The most recent thing I read on it was that you don't have to do anything but some things in your listings might not work properly if you don't remove it. That seems to indicate that they won't delete your listing.

Northern, have you got a local library with a higher internet speed? My local library is only open twice a week but I try and do major editing jobs on their computer because it's about 30 times faster than mine.
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

This is the link to the latest info I got in the March newsletter. It's fairly detailed and explains about lots of things that are "active content", which you probably wouldn't think about, eg. view counters, postage calculators, etc. http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/activecontent?utm_campaign=smbnlmarch17&utm_medium=email&utm_source=...
Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Hi Stawks got an email mess from Ebay yesterday advising us that nearly all our listings have active content which I think is the counter at the bottom of the page, and if wasn't fixed certain elements would be dropped. Apparently we have Plug-ins and Java Script which we have no idea what that is when looking at a listing. Why can't they speak English and not tech talk? Gave us the link to the Seller hub but still not very clear.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

@glenbankloel wrote:

Hi Stawks got an email mess from Ebay yesterday advising us that nearly all our listings have active content which I think is the counter at the bottom of the page, and if wasn't fixed certain elements would be dropped. Apparently we have Plug-ins and Java Script which we have no idea what that is when looking at a listing. Why can't they speak English and not tech talk? Gave us the link to the Seller hub but still not very clear.

Yeah they must think just because we run a eBay store we know everything about the "hows and whys" of this stuff. I grew up as a kid creating my own games on my TRS80. Thats how simple it was back then. 😄

Anyone know what a TRS80 is? Haha!

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

@glenbankloel wrote:

It's basically removing anything that moves in your listing and things that really don't need to be there:

Java script policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-javascript.html

Replacing active content: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html

This explains it visually : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWdiYkmRats

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

It appears that listings created in Turbo Lister have active content. Apparently there is java script embedded somehow

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

how do i remove active content?
Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@at_susannes wrote:
how do i remove active content?

Read from pretty much message 8 onwards....

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply