IS EBAY STARTED TOO OUTPRICE ITSELF?

after ebay's finnished with you, paypal ect your losing about %15 as a seller i'm starting too wonder if its all worth it

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Wish I had the brains and tech to set up my own auctions! Then I could charge myself what I want lol
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

It would be ok it postage weren't so expensive, I think it puts a lot of buyers off.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

you could charge yourself  double and make more money  lol

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

i always underquote postage cause ebay taxes you on it anyway i'd rather pay the extra out of my pocket than to hand it over to them

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, for one of my businesses I have generated enough interest to launch a website. The upside is that people are prepared to pay more as they are not necessarily eBayers so less shopping around, and because it is WA based so no long waits for postage.

The operating costs are less but you need to put in a lot of work drumming up business.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

B&M auctions will charge you at least that.

A B&M shop will have fairly high overheads as well.

There are heaps of auction sites that charge less than eBay...

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

yes i relise this but when you sell overseas and get whacked by paypal as well your looking at a high end charge

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

So true about postage charges. I was looking at a basic little baby's cardi for $5 but postage was close to $9.

I thought.. nah, I'll look in the shops instead and see the price of a new one.

I think ebay is probably no longer a great venue for cheaper items, not if they need to be posted off in a parcel.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member
Fees and postage are only a small part.. they are NOT the whole problem. Sales knowledge and business planning (or lack thereof) is.

People need to stop deciding what someone else will pay for something without a little more sales education. Ill only pay up to $30 for a pair of jeans, but that doesnt mean someone else wont pay $100.

I regularly sell $16 tops to international customers where postage is an additional $25. Are the pre owned, no brand, tops worth $41, especially in other countries where there is more choice and cheaper options? I dont think so, but clearly others do. Had I decided $25 was too much for postage and reduced my prices or not listed internationally I would no longer be on Ebay.

I really think worth and how much people will pay depends highly on what demographic youre selling to, and how your sales pitch / point of difference. And sometimes these thing have NOTHING to do with the product itself.

Demographics these days, btw, are less often things like age / race / socioeconomic background. They are run on types (like personality and behaviour) and ignore these other inflexible factors. Sales has developed unbelieveably in the past 20 years.

If people will pay $20 for something and $200 for another thing, when both are made in the same sweatshops and with the same materials amd the only difference is a label, you know the purchase has little to do with price.

Doesnt this suggest to anyone the issue is something else?

I rarely ever shopped on ebay to get something "cheap". I always shopped here to get something different, a little unique, or that I cant get elsewhere.

Yes there are people who shop on price alone, but they arent the majority (refer to the majority of brands worldwide as an example) and if you base your whole business on this you are always going to lose out here.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply