If the parcel refused on arrival is it qualified as Item not received?

Hi,

how does it work in the situation if the Buyer changed their mind when the item has already been posted and just refused the parcel on arrival? Can he open a claim "item not received"? 

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: If the parcel refused on arrival is it qualified as Item not received?

@isellstuffs101 wrote:

Hi,

how does it work in the situation if the Buyer changed their mind when the item has already been posted and just refused the parcel on arrival? Can he open a claim "item not received"? 

They can open a case, but they shouldn't win it. Edited to add - if they do open a case, definitely call eBay before doing anything else, because I don't trust them enough personally to apply the following policy to a claim. 

From the policy page:

Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Exceptions:
The buyer can provide, via written proof from the carrier, that they refused the package because it arrived empty or was damaged in transit
The item arrived COD because it didn't have enough postage on it

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I don't know how a formal case would go if you have proof of the return but as soon as the buyer informs me of their want to cancel, I message explaining that I am happy to refund less the postage costs. Then I do so before they reply.

A normal person wouldn't expect anything else but there are some unreasonable buyers out there.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I agree with you, but if the case is - the parcel was already on the way and the Buyer changed their mind enroute, wants full refund, not paying postage and returning costs.

My local Postal Manager told me that if the parcel is refused by the Receiver they treat it as 'undeliverable' and return to Sender. That's what the Buyer wants to do and open the case as 'item not received' to get all their full money back including postage.

The money will be returned to the Buyer, that's not the question. I just want to know if anybody experienced this type of "item not received' case when the item was refused on arrival (not sent back in a normal way) and how eBay deals with it, is it classified as 'item not received'? 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

If that is what you have then unfortunately you seem to have one of those buyers.

I don't think there is a return post cost so we are talking about the initial pack n postage costs.

Even if a case is opened and you have the opportunity to only refund item cost, it sounds to me you are going to get a neg due to an unreasonable buyer. Perhaps refunding in full once item is returned and blocking the buyer is the way to go.

Perhaps someone will come along having dealt with such an eBay case.

image host
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

If it were me I would ring ebay and see what they say.

If they can see the buyer has said they dont want it and then neg you I would say  (and I am guessing here) you would have good grounds to get the neg removed if they gave you one.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@isellstuffs101 wrote:

Hi,

They can open a case, but they shouldn't win it. Edited to add - if they do open a case, definitely call eBay before doing anything else, because I don't trust them enough personally to apply the following policy to a claim. 

From the policy page:

Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Exceptions:
The buyer can provide, via written proof from the carrier, that they refused the package because it arrived empty or was damaged in transit
The item arrived COD because it didn't have enough postage on it

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Nice one pulling that from the policy DG.

And a call to get confirmation (more for commitment) from an eBay employee on said policy is a very good idea.

image host
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you so much for all info! It's really really helpful, I appreciate it a lot.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, this has happened to me 2 years ago for an international sale, and now 2 months ago I am awaiting the same thing to happen for another international parcel as I can see by the tracking a parcel has been sitting at the post office since April awaiting collection! I have the email where the buyer changed their mind as suddenly went poor after clicking to buy, clicking to confirm, then clicking to pay via paypal -I do not have immediate payment set up. They did threaten if I sent it I would have have to pay return postage back as they no longer could afford it, etc etc and were really bad. (I did see later on by following their feedback they actually bought something similar that mine for more money a few hours later from another seller) However on advice from ebay twice, and also paypal I was told they would back me all the way as a change of mind is not any excuse, and any negative feedback would be removed as I have all their emails. 3 months is nearly up so that is still a wait and see situation.

Anyway in the first case a couple of years ago they automatically went to the buyers side as it technically was not delivered. On phoning them and giving ebay the explanation they reopened it and ruled in my favour, as decided I had done everything right, the buyer just did not pick it up, as obviously they had a change of mind, so I got all my fees, both ebay and paypal fees, and the cost of the item back. I am expecting the same to happen to my next case, altho surprised the post office their end has kept it so long in this case.

Just if you get no where with ebay ask for a supervisor, if they are busy -standard case- just say you understand and are quite happy to wait on the line till they are free. Do not ask for a callback as that will not happen. Be friendly and patient as it can be frustrating until you get a supervisor, as you cannot be penalised for doing all thats right. Hope it works out for you.    

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply